Re: Wheeled platform

Here's a question:
Is there a "Not-So-Grand challenge"? Ie. a challenge using RC cars that goes, say, 1000 meters over similarly challenging terrain?
My plan this summer is to start working on something like this..(although i've been thinking about indoor navigation)

--
|\/| /| |2 |<
mehaase(at)sas(dot)upenn(dot)edu
wrote:

the
Check the SRS site after may 15th, the rules for the mini-challange are to be released at the club meeting on the 15th....
wrote:

My
by
necessary
platform
I recently tied an X-10 wireless camera to an RC car. Unfortunately, the range of the camera was only about 50' (in an open parking lot). The camera was also extremely low quality and got washed out quite easily. There was also a lot of bounce due to the extra weight from the batteries.
My suggestion would to do your testing with a wired camera and just drive it around the living room, with the goal being to attach a laptop (or PC104, etc) to the vehicle and do all the processing onboard.
You'll probably want something USB based rather than PCI/PCMCIA, though the quality is a bit lower than a framegrabber board. You could also look into using a still digital camera that can be remotely shuttered, though it's refresh speed would probably be too low.
Travis
On 24 May 2004 17:01:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@quickwired.com (Travis P) wrote:

X10 cameras are the worse ones on the market. There are other high quality color, and B/w wireless cams at your local spy shop with ranges up to 1000' [you can get further if you have a permit]. Build a shock proof housing out of foam rubber, or RC shocks [the ones on the dirt buggies]
Mark
Mark wrote:

I'd also suggest eBay or http://www.supercircuits.com . As the parent mentions, avoid X10 -- they're about the worst cameras you can get. Yu can actually pay less and get a much better camera.
I've had better luck with some of the chinese dealers on ebay (they charge a buck for the cam and 25.00 S/H), although these vendors can be a mixed bag.
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)