PS/2 mouse movement hacking

I need to interface some sensors through PS/2 interface, so it was easy to simulate a mouse.
My first idea was to hack a mouse... since all the PS/2protocol would
be already prgrammed. Substituting the IR receivers, by the signal they produce I thought my objective could be accomplished.
Anyway.. the new mouses, only have one IR detector per shaft... and as far as i can see they don't output a step TTL logic 0/+5 V... but something smooth change between 0.3 and 1.8 V (...I haven't an osciloscope that's true... get's harder like this)
Any guess where to find more detailed info about? What I found was about hacking old generation of RS232 mouses, with 2 encoders per shaft... something more straight forward!
Thanks in advance DavidP
If I remember correctly, they have just integrated two receivers into one package, with the appropriate phase angle.