Reading 802.11b/g signal strength (SNR)

Is there a set of API functions in Linux, QNX and/or Windows to read signal strength (SNR) of the 802.11b/g ?

Luke

Reply to
Luke Andy

Note that "signal strength" is *not* "SNR". SNR stands for Signal to Noise Ratio, and is expressed in dB, while signal strength is expressed in -dBm.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

For windows, you can get this through WMI (do a search for "WMI wireless signal strength" or something like that). I've used this on my PC based robots, works good.

-Hoss

Reply to
Hoss

Hoss,

Would it be too much to ask if you could share related bits of your code with us, so that we learn from your experience?

Reply to
Luke Andy

This is what I used in a VB6 app.

Private Sub Timer1_Timer() Set nicset = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!root/wmi").InstancesOf("MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength") On Error GoTo no80211Error For Each nic In nicset SignalStrengthValue = Right(nic.Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength, Len(nic.Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength) - 1) If SignalStrengthValue "" Then SendText ("S=NetSignalStrength~" & SignalStrengthValue) End If Exit For Next nicset = Nothing Exit Sub

no80211Error: SendToConsole "No 802.11 network adapters found" Timer1.Enabled = False End Sub

Reply to
Hoss