reducing the angle of servo + keeping the same number of steps

i'd like to modify a servo so that it has the same amount of discreet steps, but over the angle of 90 or 60 or 45 degrees instead of the usual 180.
my guess is that i have to mess with the pot, but my previous experiments show that simply changing the pot value won't help (since h-bridge stuff works somehow different than i expected).
does anyone have some good tips on this one?
klif

External gear box.
Changing the pot won't help, since it is acting as a voltage divider. Run the servo through it's range, and look at the voltage on the wiper.
Mike

steps,

steps,
Use reduction gears external to the servo 2:1 for 1800->90 degrees, 3:1 for 180->60 etc. The pot is simply a voltage divider - not sure what you meant about "discrete steps" though - servos are essentially analogue devices.
PeterS Remove my PANTS to reply
THe only way is to provide greater voltages at the inputs to the pot, thus increasing the voltage swing over a smaller area. a higher supply at one end, and a zener diode to limit the return to the circuit MAY work for you

experiments
stuff
for
meant
256
There is a modification described in The Encoder that changes the gain of the system so that you can control the speed much better in servos modified for continuous rotation. I would think that modification would also let you add resistors to both ends of the pot and so use a smaller range of rotation. Have to think more on it, but I think it would do the trick.
Mark

180.
3:1
devices.

The Encoder? what is it? is it available online?
klif
p.s. thanx for more tips :)
in article BC0009B8.36DB9% snipped-for-privacy@mi2.hr, klif at snipped-for-privacy@mi2.hr wrote on 13.12.03 0:11:

i found it!