Tamiya twin gearbox problem

I've assembled the gearbox according to the "A" configuration, which is the standard speed. But each side does not rotate independently of the other. I have gone over the directions several times and compared to the pictures...it is assembled correctly. But it looks like the design is wrong, because the shaft with the lock nuts is tying both sides together.

Anyone have experience with this gearbox?

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Yes, I'm using it, though in configuration D. My wheels certainly rotate independently. I've also used a lot of other Tamiya products, and found both the products and the directions to be of extremely high quality. I hate to say it, but my guess is that you're misinterpreting the instructions. They wouldn't put out a plan that locks the two sides together.

Indeed, looking at the directions for A, I don't see any part that extends all the way through the middle. So I'm not sure what shaft you're referring to, but I think whatever you have in mind there should be two shafts.

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

Thanks, Joe. I think you've got the "double gearbox", though. I've got the "twin gearbox" (doesn't have a D config). For configs A and B one of the shafts does actually go through the middle.

So I went through the instruction sheet one more time and right next to the second lock nut it says, "Do not secure." Doh! It works now.

And you're right...very high quality product.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Oops, you're absolutely right -- I was thinking (incorrectly) that you meant the double gearbox.

Glad you figured it out!

Best,

- Joe

Reply to