temperature sensor

I am looking for a temperature sensor, from 0 degrees to 500 degrees F.

I want it to be inexpensive. It doesn't have to be super accurate..

What type of sensor should I research?

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

Look at thermocouples such as the J, E, or T type. Google for thermocouples and you should see lots of info. The J type is used on aircraft piston engine cylinder heads (called a CHT probe) and you might be able to find a used one cheap down at the local airport maintenance shop.

Inexpensive is a relative thing.

Reply to
Hank

Thermocouple. Type K (Chromel-Alumel) is about perfect, though J is sometimes used in North America (one of the wires is iron so it's not immune to corrosion from moisture). They are relatively inexpensive and very rugged, and can be quite fast-responding.

The output is very low (microvolts per degree), somewhat nonlinear and also a function of temperature at the 'cold' (non-measurement) end of the thermocouple, so you need signal conditioning, cold-junction compensation (another, absolute, temperature sensor) and to be concerned about galvanic isolation in some cases.

If it's a one-off, you can look at industrial quality signal conditioners on eBay.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

These look easy enough to use:

I haven't used one yet, but I'm planning on using the AD595 (Type K) in a little project I'm thinking about doing.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

`Could try for a Thermistor?

Ashley Clarke