Troubles parallel ambitions in NASA Mars project

Thought you find this of interest.
Note the design difficulties...just like our robots. ;<)
TMT
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2008-04-13-mars_N.htm?csp=1
Troubles parallel ambitions in NASA Mars project
By Traci Watson, USA TODAY NASA's new Mars rover aims high. It's bigger, more powerful and more sophisticated than any other robotic vehicle that has landed on another planet. It will try to answer a big question: Has life existed elsewhere in the solar system? Its very ambition has gotten the rover in trouble. Thanks to a mix of technological setbacks and engineering misjudgments, the rover's epic scale is matched by epic problems. Its story offers a cautionary tale as NASA plans to devote large chunks of its science budget in coming years to grand "flagship" missions, including a spacecraft to return Mars rocks to Earth and another that would visit a moon of Jupiter or Saturn.
The new rover, known as the Mars Science Laboratory, is $235 million, or 24%, over budget. Work on it has run so late that engineers are racing to prepare the rover for its blastoff in 2009. After that, the next good launch window, when Mars and the Earth are closest, is in 2011.
"They aimed high, and they got burned," says Arizona State University's Phil Christensen, a Mars scientist who helped review NASA's Mars program.
To make up for Mars Lab's ballooning cost, $1.2 billion, NASA has had to raid the coffers of other science projects.
Last month, the Mars rover Spirit, which has roamed the Red Planet since 2004, was threatened with being turned off to help pay for Mars Lab. After word spread, NASA rescinded cuts to Spirit and twin rover Opportunity.
'Pushing the envelope'
Spirit and Opportunity were a triumph for NASA, but next to Mars Lab, they'll look crude. Their job was to look for water. Their successor has a tougher task: to search for the molecules that are precursors to life and for evidence of microbes at work.
That requires a big machine that relies on nuclear power rather than the current rovers' solar panels. Mars Lab will carry a full chemistry workshop and a robotic drill arm for gathering rock samples.
Mars Lab, conceived in 2000 and given formal approval in 2006, "is the most challenging planetary mission that's ever been flown," says Doug McCuistion, head of NASA's Mars program. "We're pushing the envelope in a number of areas, and it just kind of built up."
Among the problems:
* The heat shield. Such a big rover needs heavy protection to get it through the Martian atmosphere. It took engineers until mid-2007 to determine that the material they'd chosen wouldn't work.
* The 90-plus motors that drive the rover's moving parts, such as its wheels. Engineers spent years working on cutting-edge motors. They decided last year that it would take too much time and money to develop them.
* The scientific instruments. Ranging from cameras to chemical sensors, the instruments ran so over budget that last year NASA officials kicked one instrument off the rover and stopped work on another. Work on the two instruments was restarted after corporate, foreign and federal sponsors outside NASA came up with more money.
* The landing system. Because it's so big, Mars Lab will touch down on the planet using a new combination of braking rockets, parachutes and a long tether that will lower it to the ground. Engineers encountered glitches developing the system.
Needed: 'Several miracles'
No single item can be blamed for the bulk of the cost growth, McCuistion says. It all added up.
"You ended up with several miracles (needed) to get the mission achieved, instead of just one," says Brown University planetary scientist John Mustard, chair of a group that provides Mars advice to NASA.
In retrospect, "we underestimated what it was going to take," concedes the lab's project manager, Richard Cook of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. "To do it right, we're going to need more funding."
What's more, every change has a ripple effect, Cook says. So the decision in 2007 to use different and heavier motors on the rover's moving parts meant that other weight-bearing parts of the rover had to be redesigned, upping the cost more.
Cook and others concede that they may have been able to head off some of the headaches by spending more money earlier than they thought was needed. That would have allowed them to experiment with new technologies without having so much of a ripple effect on the rest of the spacecraft.
Despite the missteps, Edward Weiler, the acting head of NASA's science division, says he'll do what it takes to fund the rover. Many NASA science projects will have take a small hit to pay for the overruns.
"I'm trying to spread the pain," Weiler says. "Everything is fair game."
Outside scientists agree with NASA officials that the rover is a difficult endeavor. They say it will be worth it, and anything less ambitious couldn't tackle the big questions Mars Lab will.
"Was it perhaps a quantum leap forward as opposed to an incremental step?" Mustard says. "Yes, that might be the case. But that's what NASA prides itself on."
MARS SCIENCE LABORATORY: BY THE NUMBERS
The Mars Science Laboratory, the next robotic vehicle to explore the surface of the Red Planet, will be far more sophisticated than the two Mars Exploration Rovers already roaming the planet.
Mars Science Laboratory Mars Exploration Rover Total weight 1,984 pounds 384 pounds
Length 9 feet 5.2 feet
Power production Nuclear: 2.5 kilowatt hours per day Solar: 0.6 kilowatt hours per day
Weight of scientific instruments 176 pounds 15 pounds
Number of potential landing sites on Mars Hundreds Ten
Intended lifetime driving distance 12 miles 0.6 miles
Source: NASA
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

There is an appropriate sf story - "Superiority" - by Arthur C Clarke - which should have been compulsory reading for NASA ...
Dave

Nothing like lowballing the initial cost estimates to guarantee selection. Pity Alan Stern is no longer there to hold the lowballer's feet to the fire...
Bill Forster wrote:

Nothing like netwits sounding off on things they don't really know anything about.
--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

... or that can't spell "nitwit" ! :-)
On Apr 15, 9:53pm, "pogo" wrote:

you didn't catch the pun...
netwit = nitwit on the net
Rich

Standard practice in the industry.
TMT
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Which industry is that? This is a JPL project. They are trying to do something that has never been done before and guess what? It's difficult! A hell of a lot more difficult than putting your foot in your mouth on usenet, apparently.
--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

Interesting response...do you always insult strangers?
I do not dispute that it is difficult nor do I condemn anyone who tries and fails.
In your tagline you indicate that you are a software developer...I seem to recall reading that 3 out of 4 software projects fail...usually from underfunding and poor communications.
I suspect the real problem is that under this Adminstration NASA has been starved for funding. Trying to accomplish The Impossible while you are being choked to death is difficult for anyone.
TMT
And for it being a "JPL" project...well JPL subcontracts out much of their work.

Damn. Got anything nice to say? I'm guessing that you're bitter about not working at NASA anymore? Is the attitude a free add-on to your software or do you charge for it ?
Couldn't resist ...
pogo wrote:

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

And you just reinforced everything I said. No more flamein' ...

How about spending all that money on digging a great big hole, we can all jump in it, and have some robots fill dirt back in over the top?
Rich
On Apr 16, 11:33am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

We have...it is called the Iraq War.
TMT