Updated "Where Am I?"

Hi,

First of all, i've just read through entire 1996 edition of J. Borensteins "Where am I?" or "Sensors and Methods for Mobile Robot Positioning" Its an eye opener. Everything ive done thus far in mobile robotics has basically been groping in the dark. Excellent book, and i think everybody involved in hobby robotics, beyond the newbie stage, should take and read it. Especially as its freely available online. Now, its 7 years old, and some of the info is quite outdated. Particularly, availability of low-cost sensors suitable for robotics have come a long way since then ( did we even have optical mice in '96 ? ), also the computing power avaialable to crunch those more complex algorithms has gone up significantly. So, does anyone know of similar, more up-to-date book. Even separate books on subject of different sensors, and algorithms would be handy. I know i can locate and read several papers on different subtopics and i have occasionally done that, but having such a good overview of all the possible modern methods is essential to really understanding the stuff. I have scanned through popular hobby robotics websites "resource" collections, but many of them cover just the basic tutorial stuff, without systematic overview of whats going on. Im mining the Amazon right now, but havent been able to turn up anything significant yet. In short, whats the latest mobile robotics bible ?

thanks in advance,

-kert

Reply to
Kaido Kert