USB to RS-485

I'm looking for a USB to RS-485 converter for my robot's bus.

I did a google search and it displayed a few of them, but none that satisfies all of my requirements. Here they are:

- Powered out of the USB port

- Small

- Cheap

The above requirements are purposefully vague, I assume that you will contextualize them in a mobile robot base (12x18 inches).

The one I liked most (USB-COMi) requires a wall wart...

I'm avoiding making my own USB or RS232 converter, but I think I'll have to if I don't find one that suits me.

Reply to
Padu

Unless the power requirement is bizarre, why not just make your own power supply in lieu of the wall wart?

I've been known to purchase wall wart-powered stuff only to cut the power cable from the wart in half and add mating connectors to both severed ends so that I can power the device either from my own supply (with a matching connector) OR from the wart.

Should be easier in any case than making your own converter, if substantially less entertaining.

Hope that helps -- tafkakS

Reply to
The Artist Formerly Known as K

"The Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salty"

That's an option too, definitely better than doing my own converter, but not better than USB power supplied... I think I had not looked hard enough. EasySynch does a USB-COMi-M which is USB powered, small and not so expensive ($70 the non-opto isolated and $100 the opto isolated).

I'll continue searching for the next 2 days, if I don't find anything better, I'll get this one.

Thanks

Padu

Reply to
Padu

It can't do MODBUS RTU so the timing must be sloppy (perhaps comes with the territory).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"Spehro Pefhany"

But that's what their user manual says: (top of page 3)

"Power Supply

-An external power adapter are required.

-- The USB-2COMi, USB-2COMi-SI, USB-4COM, USB-4COMi,USB-8COM are provided with an external power adapter in the package. You need to plug the power adapter to the power source first before driver installation.

I wonder which one is right.

Reply to
Padu

Mine doesn't require a wall wart. And you can make it much smaller if you take it out of the plastic container.

-- D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman

Notice that the USB-COMi is not on the list.

I have a three-device RS-485 bus that runs off of this device.

-- D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman

have a look at:

they are definitely usb powered, and price is approx $65USD inc postage. in stock, ready to ship

Don...

Reply to
Don McKenzie

installation.

postage.

USB to RS232 Converter that works

Another option, just need to att the TTL to RS232 line convertor IC...

Mark

Reply to
markwod