Low power usage Mini-ITX board that works with a 7.2v 3000ma battery?

Hello,

I'm looking for a mini-ITX motherboard that would work with a 7.2v 3000ma battery, that is very conservative on power (for a robot project).

Would one of the "fanless" boards be a good choice, since

How about the mobile boards (e.g. - mini-itx P4-M)?

If someone could recommend a vendor and model, and give me a URL if you have one, that would be appreciated. If you have any opinions on the board, good or bad, please share.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Oschler

I'm in the process of designing an ATX power supply (with some extras) for that exact purpose. You can see some preliminary schematics and PCBs at

Note that D3 and D6 are connected to the wrong end of the bootstrap capacitors on this version.

Regards, Andras Tantos

Reply to
Andras Tantos

I'd look at

D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

Does it have to be mini-ITX, or can it be smaller? What are your performance requirements (CPU wise)?

Biscuit PCs typically work on only 5V. I did the initial electronics for my robot sub with an Advantech PCM-5820, which is a 300MHz Geode (approx. similar to a 233MHz~266MHz P2-MMX). 1.5A at 5V (no 12V rail required), fanless, same footprint as a 3.5" floppy drive. Available in the same form factor are processors up to 667MHz (fanless) and even much faster (if a fan is OK).

The specific board I used has 2 serial (1 can be RS232/422/485), IrDA, VGA, IDE, CompactFlash slot (bootable), 2 USB (I used these for two lo-res webcams and a USB 802.11 pod), wired Ethernet, floppy port, parallel port, and direct drive for parallel LCDs. My control software was Linux-based. I just finished writing a book about the interface considerations on this board, and basic actuator/sensor applications, actually (available for pre-order from Amazon... ;)

If you need a PCI slot, there are similar boards in the 5.25" biscuit form factor, which have one PCI slot, and similar power requirements.

However, an x86 PC in general is not a good choice if power consumption is important. XScale would be better; again, Advantech sells XScale-based boards in the same 3.5" form factor. Can run ARM-Linux without problems, but they are rather pricey.

If you don't need the performance of XScale, there are a lot of ARM7 platforms that suffice for even very complex robots... look for instance at

(not that he specifically mentions robots, but the module could be used for these applications).

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards