What type of microcontroller to choose?

I'm wondering if anyone here have any suggestions for me or could tell me about some of the pros and cons with the different types. AVR and PIC are the two that I have considered most, but if you like any of the other ones better please tell me. I know it perhaps depends on what I want to use it for but I guess some overall thoughts about them can't hurt. How about compilers, assemblers and other development tools? Are there any free C-compilers available for PIC's, like GNU avr-gcc for AVR?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Erik

There are AVR's that run at 16MHz.