7.5" (and larger tubing)/ring tailed rocket follow-up

First, thanks to all of you who responded to my earlier posting about whistling ring tailed rockets at the ROCI launch. I've looked up Bob Kaplow's plan in the NIRA newsletter. Are there any suppliers of 7" tubes other than LOC? In particular, are there any good sources of short lengths? If not, I might just have to make a upscal Big Daddy to go with the ringed tail rocket.

Thanks,

Sam Midkiff A better email address than the one given in the message header is: s m i d k i f f a t p u r d u e d o t e d u

Reply to
Sam Midkiff

and
both sell 7.5 inch tubes.

Reply to
David

You might contact Tom Prestia. He sells sections of 7.5" tube for his 2X Mars Lander, and you can buy them separately.

Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-Sr

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

quickcrete?

Reply to
tater schuld
8" concrete tubes come in 7.5ish, 8, 8.5ish sizes.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Just do what I do, bring your 7.51" nosecone with you to Home Depot when you shop for Quikrete tubes. You may get a few strange looks, but it's worth the effort because 8" nominal Quikrete tubes come in three sizes that fit inside of one another for shipping ease, I guess.

Mark Simpson

No more embarrassing than walking around the JoAnn's fabric store with a Hypertek motor test fitting the cardboard tubing under the cutting table. You'd think they've never seen a man in there.

I took the Tomahawk centering rings into HD and found they were sized to the middle 10" tube. It took 3 HD's to find enough tubes for the 17' tall Tomahawk. Other sources can be found under 'concrete forms' in the yellow pages. Boarders is one down here, gave me 2 free 8" dropped ends which were

5' long! A 7.5 nosecone is way outside my price range and then having to buy 'rocketry' tubing? Skip a page or two into Bob's Mini-Gila Monster project:
Joel. phx
Reply to
Joel Corwith

Actually, mine came about for the opposite reason. I'd ordered a short 7.5" (payload) tube from LOC, then had to figure out what to do with it! You could use the tube coupler, if you cover it with something to get a better surface finish, but that's still big and expensive. You can also make your own tube out of about 24" of posterboard.

Bob Kaplow

Either of you guys ever hear of a ruler or tape measure. I've got one of those 3' keychain tape measures I use when I need to shop for something like that. In fact, I've got so much keychain clutter, I long ago got rid of everything bt the car and house keys from my keychain, and have all the "stuff" on the other keychain, which usually lives in my briefcase instead of my pocket. It includes:

Laser pointer Solitare Maglite Micro red LED flashlight Swiss army knife Gerber knife Olfa box cutter Sebertool pliers Stanley 3' tape measure Pill container Jumpdrive 128MB Alpha EV7 keychain fob (most powerful microprocessor on the planet!) Caribeaner to hold them all

Bob Kaplow

Find a local construction supply company that sells concrete forms (Sonotube being the best-known brand). You can buy it up to 4" in diameter, and here you can buy it by the foot.

I used 16" Sonotube for the ring fin on Lusty.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Yes. And when you're standing in a HARDWARE STORE,.. it doesn't take much to find one. On the other hand they're not very useful as the tubes are never round. Measuring the diameter helped a little, but you need the thickness, and the ends are always dinged.

Not that I sorted through a hundred or so....

Joel. phx

You're good when you can spot the size on the self and know it's the large

10" instead of the middle 10".
Reply to
Joel Corwith

Yes, we ended up with a large piece of Boarder Tube for the Tomahawk because it meant fewer couplers. When I went for a different rocket, I asked the guy about 8" tubes and we found 2 5 footers (or so) in the cutoffs bin. I showed him the rocket diagram and he thought that was pretty cool. Got up front, he asked the boss and they said they're yours.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith