shelf life of Aerotech reloads?

Anyone know if there is an official company line, or real-world estimate, on the shelf-life of unopened RMS reloads?

Reply to
unspammable

I don't know of any "official" estimate, but real-world experience shows they can last for many years.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I don't think there is an official estimate - Gary R, if you're listening, please correct me. My personal experience is that it is basically unlimited provided the bag remains intact and the product is not exposed to excessive temperatures. I honestly don't know what happens to AP/HTPB when it gets desert-hot for extended periods.

mj NOT an AeroTech spokesman

Reply to
Mark Johnson

Yep.

AT WL in particular oxidizes so it is smart to put reload packages in a second layer of bag, a Ziploc bag or better yet something vacuum sealed for long term storage. Bags are easy to open. Reloads are hard to repair from oxidization.

Ditto, "NOT an AeroTech spokesman"

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Would that would be the white stuff I see occasionally on the grains?

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
nedtovak

Yep.

From the Mg in the APCP.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry Irvine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Doesn't APCP use aluminum,not Mg? Or is that what makes it White Lightning? ISTR that Ammonium Nitrate CP uses Mg.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

APCP formulas can use a variety of metallic fuels... some of the Aerotech ones use magnesium. (In the Aerotech fire accidents of October 2001, the second fire involved a barrel of powdered magnesium that started reacting with water that got in it while extinguising the first fire, which involved shavings from a propellant grain machining operation.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

does the oxidation extend all the way through the grain? can't I just sand a bit on the exposed edges of the grain?

... I remember something about needing to do this on the delay charge too ....

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

At least 10 years...

Bob Kaplow

Yes you can just sand it off.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not errortech!

Yep.

Mg may have been acontributing factorin what caused the second fire atthe errortech factory. Started by the FD and NOT removed from the building despite plenty of time and lots of on-site training at errortech.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ive Burnt ISP reloads circa 1995ish (K550) that where coated with white dots from age and oxidation... They worked great and came very close to expected flight sims. And they even seemed a little more smokier than new K550's

-Tim Summers TRA 8793 LeVeL 3

Reply to
Tim Summers

THe only issue you might have with the older grains is getting good ignition. Other than sanding the core/slot to get a clean surface, one other thing you might try is swapping the top grain for a fresh one. That gives you an easier to ignite fresh surface at the top. Once it's going the rest of them WILL light! Use the stale grain(s) swapped out with fresh grains in another motor in the same way.

Bob Kaplow

Hey thanks everyone!

I've got a half dozen or so D, E & F 24mm reloads dating from 1992, and another half dozen dating from 1997, still in AT heat-sealed bags, which I never got around to using. They've always been stored in cool, dry places, and I just opened the box from my last move.

Guess I'll test fire a couple of them on a bench, just to be sure.

++++ replace "nospam" w/ "hog" in email ++++
Reply to
Sean Collins

I launched a couple of 24mm E and F reloads from 1993 at a recent ROCI launch with no problems. They were stored in their original bags the whole time, and even ignited with Copperheads.

Sam Midkiff A better email address than the one given in the message header is: s m i d k i f f a t p u r d u e d o t e d u

Reply to
Sam Midkiff

Hey Juerg,

Hope things are well on your side of the pond...

Question... Is Rolf Orell still flying?

A couple years ago, I won a doorprize donated by Mike Reiner for a Dr. Rocket 38/360 case, serial number 018 (!!!), manufactured 7/96 with Rolf's name and TRA number inscribed. Never been flown (didn't seem right) and actually collecting dust on the *inside* of it.

If you happen to bump into him, would you mind asking him if he's interested in it. I'd be willing to swap for a used 29mm RMS set. I seem to have a bad habit of loosing these.

Best, Andy

p.s. Unofficially, IIRC, Gary mentioned, in an RMR thread, a 16 year life though we discussed further that the BP will probably sour before the AP.

Reply to
Andy Eng

I usually burn it off ;-)

RDH8