Ring tailed whistling rocket at ROCI AMA CRIFF launch

At the recent ROCI launch there was a red three finned rocket with a ring around the base of the fins. It whistled. Does anyone know if
this is a kit, if there are plans, or who the owner might be?
Thanks!
Sam Midkiff A better email address than the one given in the message header is: s m i d k i f f a t p u r d u e d o t e d u
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:59:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com (Sam Midkiff) wrote:

That was Joe Isca's upscale Sprite. The original was an Estes kit, but it was very small.
Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet
http://www.indyrockets.org "X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

You can find plans for a slightly smaller (BT-80 main body, 7.6" ring, flies on D-E-F motors) upscaled Astron Sprite in the JanFeb99.pdf issue of The Leading Edge. Go to the NIRA home page (below), then follow the newsletter link and select the issue above.

Fly it with a 24mm USR 240 H 100 -8. That'll make it scream.

At what dealer in IL or a neighboring state can I buy this motor? At what launch in IL or a neighboring state can I fly this motor?

I suppose any dealer willing to buy and selll with no LEUP, whoever that might be. I know for a fact none are in stock at dealers in the area you specify.

Any indy launch (ie not NAR and not TRA). Any launch that meets that very simple criteria.
Being under 113g there is also no FAA waiver requirement.
General access, general discharge.
Jerry

So I can't buy one around here. Makes it hard to fly what you can't buy.

Please post a location, date, time, and contact information.

Not if YOU buy it.

I will be glad to when I start making news releases for all you too I am sure will also see them. Mean time there is at least one tryly indy club worth mentioning:
ieas.org and one non-club group: arocket.net
Form a chapter and stary flying. It is not during NAR time or under NAR rules so it is compatible with your lifetime membership too.
Jerry
Jerry, you and I both know that with that motor, his rocket will shred while still on the rod. :) That sucka kicks some serious butt.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Getting someone to try it is like pulling teeth :)
The last time I even made any they went to Ken Allen and they were some of the first motors he sold. I think there are alot of rockets that can take long 24mm motors physigally but due to the length, most of those were originally designed for G's and H's anyway.
His rocket, of course, is expendable.
The motor has a "soft" thrust curve :)
It's all relative:
www.v-serv.com/usr/motors/h100.html
And to prove they exist in real life:
www.v-serv.com/usr/motors/j160.html
Jerry

Don't say that to me right now...

I could certainly build one strong enough for a motor like this. But since we're talking about an Estes kit scaleup, the rocket most likely wouldn't be long enough to hold this motor.
On 30 Sep 2003 12:22:35 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Uh oh. Um, so the dental "encounter" didn't go too well Bob?
<g>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
writes:

Well, it went, and the offending tooth is gone. I only needed the major pain medication the first day, and I've only been using 1-2 OTC Ibuprofen a day since the weekend. But all in all, it's not an experience I'm looking forward to repeating.
I'd much rather spend a week inhaling APCP exhaust...

Can't this all be a secret from us on rmr?

I can arrange that.
Jerry

The original didn't whistle. The bigger one probably had vibrating parts so build a sprite with lightweight parts.
Jerry
The one I built in the 60's whistled. Kinda lobbed into the air on those Estes "short" motors, whistled all the way up, and then sorta tumbled end over end on the way down, the best I can remember