An Alternative To Dreck

Here's a good one:
The Observer [UK]
Sunday, June 6, 2004
Killer, Coward, Con-Man ? Good Riddance, Gipper ...
More Proof Only the Good Die Young
by Greg Palast
You're not going to like this. You shouldn't speak ill of the dead.
But in this case, someone's got to.
Ronald Reagan was a conman. Reagan was a coward. Reagan was a killer.
In 1987, I found myself stuck in a crappy little town in Nicaragua
named Chaguitillo. The people were kind enough, though hungry, except
for one surly young man. His wife had just died of tuberculosis.
People don't die of TB if they get some antibiotics. But Ronald
Reagan, big hearted guy that he was, had put a lock-down embargo on
medicine to Nicaragua because he didn't like the government that the
people there had elected.
Ronnie grinned and cracked jokes while the young woman's lungs filled
up and she stopped breathing. Reagan flashed that B-movie grin while
they buried the mother of three.
And when Hezbollah terrorists struck and murdered hundreds of American
marines in their sleep in Lebanon, the TV warrior ran away like a
whipped dog & then turned around and invaded Grenada. That little Club
Med war was a murderous PR stunt so Ronnie could hold parades for
gunning down Cubans building an airport.
I remember Nancy, a skull and crossbones prancing around in designer
dresses, some of the "gifts" that flowed to the Reagans -- from hats
to million-dollar homes -- from cronies well compensated with
government loot. It used to be called bribery.
And all the while, Grandpa grinned, the grandfather who bleated on
about "family values" but didn't bother to see his own grandchildren.
The New York Times today, in its canned obit, wrote that Reagan
projected, "faith in small town America" and "old-time values."
"Values" my ass. It was union busting and a declaration of war on the
poor and anyone who couldn't buy designer dresses. It was the New
Meanness, bringing starvation back to America so that every
millionaire could get another million.
"Small town" values? From the movie star of the Pacific Palisades, the
Malibu mogul? I want to throw up.
And all the while, in the White House basement, as his brain boiled
away, his last conscious act was to condone a coup d'etat against our
elected Congress. Reagan's Defense Secretary Casper the Ghost
Weinberger with the crazed Colonel, Ollie North, plotted to give guns
to the Monster of the Mideast, Ayatolla Khomeini.
Reagan's boys called Jimmy Carter a weanie and a wuss although Carter
wouldn't give an inch to the Ayatolla. Reagan, with that film-fantasy
tough-guy con in front of cameras, went begging like a coward
cockroach to Khomeini pleading on bended knee for the release of our
hostages.
Ollie North flew into Iran with a birthday cake for the maniac mullah
-- no kidding --in the shape of a key. The key to Ronnie's heart.
Then the Reagan roaches mixed their cowardice with crime: taking cash
from the hostage-takers to buy guns for the "contras" - the
drug-runners of Nicaragua posing as freedom fighters.
I remember as a student in Berkeley the words screeching out of the
bullhorn, "The Governor of the State of California, Ronald Reagan,
hereby orders this demonstration to disperse" and then came the
teargas and the truncheons. And all the while, that fang-hiding grin
from the Gipper.
In Chaguitillo, all night long, the farmers stayed awake to guard
their kids from attack from Reagan's Contra terrorists. The farmers
weren't even Sandinistas, those 'Commies' that our cracked-brained
President told us were 'only a 48-hour drive from Texas.' What the
hell would they want with Texas, anyway?
Nevertheless, the farmers, and their families, were Ronnie's targets.
In the deserted darkness of Chaguitillo, a TV blared. Weirdly, it was
that third-rate gangster movie, "Brother Rat." Starring Ronald
Reagan.
Well, my friends, you can rest easier tonight: the Rat is dead.
Killer, coward, conman. Ronald Reagan, good-bye and good riddance.
Greg Palast is author of the New York Times bestseller, The Best
Democracy Money Can Buy.

Scottso
No, that was crap. I didn't even bother reading past the first paragraph. This is a rocketry newsgroup. Or was. Why would you think anyone CARES about those opinions?
Reply to
Alex Mericas
Also there is an intent to impose incivility, which itself is becoming more common on rmr (and in rocketry administration) despite the example set by the 40th President.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
nagative ones.
None of them have a place in this newsgroup.
Had the subject been "Liberal Opinion: The Reagan Years" I at least would have known to killfile it. Luckily I know to avoid another poster.
To tell the truth I have been reading very few articles about politics lately. Before the 1992 election, for example, I read a LOT about all of the candidates. Not just the ones I liked but particularly the ones I DIDN'T like so I could understand their agenda and platform. Not any more. We have become so polarized that it is nearly impossible to find objective news (you know: Who, What, When, and Where. Leave out Why unless it is known without a shadow of a doubt). Leave out how some poor farmer in a 3rd world nation feels about it. They don't matter. All sides of the political process are equally guilty of this.
So I'm thinking that I should use 1 6PDT push switche per altimeter. Or mayby 1 DPST and 1 4PDT switch. That way I could power on the altimeter and wait for it to check out before I connect the charges.
Oh. Sorry about that rocketry related post.
BTW. Ray Charles is still dead.
Reply to
Alex Mericas
The Prez has to keep his eye on the big picture. Also, like it or not, he is there to serve what he feels are the interests of the US first and the rest of the world second. I'm sorry for everyone that has to suffer but, to blame it on one person is ridiculous.
Reply to
Phil Stein
Well it seems everyone else posted their opinions about him, if you tolerated the positive opinions you must also tolerate the nagative ones.
Reply to
Mike

Site Timeline

  • Has anyone any insight into why Ky's rocket impacted 20 miles(!) from the...

    Model rockets