Anybody up for it?

http://www.cosmopod.com/mysite/bart/trike2.JPG
Was wondering if anyone wants to donate some rocket motors to kick this thing up to about 30 mph.
Even if you don't want to donate, would you have any recommendations for the size of motors? I'm pretty light weight at about 135 lbs. The trike itself weights about 60 lbs.
I wouldn't want to go much faster than 30 mph at first because this thing can flip pretty easily. However, as I get use to handling that speed, I could possibly graduate to higher speeds on a straight-away.
Where are you located? That looks a lot like SoCal.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Central Florida - but soon to relocate to Boynton Beach.

rocsim it to see what kind of stabilizing fins ya need.
my first thought is an H90, encased in a cato-proof motor mount
The rocket motors normally used by the folks on this group cannot be throttled or shut down once they are started. At nearly 200 lbs.I would think that it would take a fairly large motor to move the trike and you at 30 mph. I would suggest a Hybrid motor, one that runs on liquid Nitrous Oxide for the oxidizer and another substance to burn and produce the "hot expanding gas" for the thrust. A hybrid motor could be modified to allow the nitrous to be shut off effectively shutting down the motor. In theory you could re light the motor at a later time though I have no knowledge of how this could be done. Do a Google search on hybrid rocket motors to see what is out there. An alternative would be a Hydrogen Peroxide rocket motor but the fuel is extremely dangerous at the concentrations you would need. Check out http://www.the-rocketman.com/ for some ideas.
--
William Richardson ENC USNR Ret.
TRA 8703 L2

thing
snipped-for-privacy@nope.net says...

Hmmmph. Consider yourself slammed.
--
Tweak

Been there, Done that... with a regular bicycle when I was 12. I would suggest using a regular bycycle though as the thing you want to ride is marginally stable and would tip over easily. Another thing... if you use rocket motors don't ignite them when you are still, as they will probably push you over and not foreward. Be going a few miles an hour when you hit the button. Also be aware, like the other guy stated, once lit you can't turn them off if something goes wrong. On the bicycle, we used 5 SSRS F67 motors and lit them one at a time. They worked pretty good and they definately accelerated the bicycle, but I doubt we got to 30 mph, probably 20-22 mph. Looking back, we did some pretty stupid things! What's the saying... A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Anyway, hybrids are the way to go but they cost a lot to set up and opperate correctly, so I'd suggest AP motors with an average thrust of 125-175 newtons and that last for no more that 1-1.5 seconds of burn time to start off with. These would seem manageable. And... BUY YOUR OWN DAMN MOTORS! Mad scientist types should be funding their own experiments and not bumming stuff off of other people! What's wrong with poeple from Florida! :) Daniel
Piccolo Pete wrote:

I would definately start pedalling before lighting them and I agree, with solid fuel, I would want several motors to light in pairs (to keep some sort of balance and avoid a rapid steering problem). But you aren't gonna talk me out of using the trike if I ever do this :-)
Max speed I've had the trike was 25 mph - but that's about as fast as I ever want to go on a sidewalk. This would eventually be run on a nice smooth track - just for special occasions - and I would hope to eventually exceed 30 mph (wearing protective gear, of course). Fortunately, even though the trike can flip easily, it isn't a far distance to the ground and most of what I would be subject to would be scrapes/road burns unless an explosion takes place (which is why I'm not really looking forward to using liquid fuels).
I was thinking, um, after all, I do have brakes... Even though I may have to replace them after every run.
I'll look into the AP motors you suggest. I may just start with some hand made bp motors to get a feel for it. 2 six pound rockets with a 20 foot flame would look pretty cool on this thing.
As for your comment about Floridians... our brains get melted every summer - what do you expect ;-)
Besides, pride is cheap and it doesn't cost anything to ask :-) You never know when someone might be willing to sponsor an event. I know a guy that travels all over a few countries and makes $10k per show for riding a horse cart full of pyrotechnics around a track a few times. It costs a lot for the airfare, permits, and supplies, but he still makes a nice profit. So... why shouldn't I try to get into some kind of profit thing with a trike that already draws a lot of attention every day I ride it to the store to get some beer? Hell... I should probably sell advertizing space on the thing :-)
Aerotech... are you out there?

the
itself
thing
A bunch snipped, and comments inline...

http://www.fastlanerocketluge.com/Road%20Thrill%20.htm I caught this on tv a couple years ago. groups of hobby motors seem like a good way to do it. also, a set of motorcycle leathers would be a sound investment.
shameless plug... I've got a set of leathers on ebay now that i'm selling for a friend. (sounds like they might fit you) auction ends in 2 days and current bid is only $33. just do a search for spartan leathers, you'll find them.
-Dan Chandler

o-t-m-a-i-l--.-com says...

Those are some old school leathers. Not too many people would trust them, as years of sweat turns the leather into beef jerky and they become less effective. Even without a lot of use the leather experts recommend replacement about every 10 years.
For 30 bucks they would be ok for a 30mph bicycle ride, but no way would I go race in them.
--
Tweak