Australians

No. The granting of a permit is done at the region level, having the local fire chief doesnt change the situation at law.

Being able to do so and it being "effective" is another matter frankly the wind restrictions are 1/5 of what the saftey code limits are.. Sitting around waiting while the region officer decides he is statisfied the conditons are suitable is a royal PIA.

Jerry, the above I have thought long and hard about before responding.. It is a pitty that folks cannot simply pursue this hobby in whatever association they choose to join, NAR, TRA, IEAS, ASRA, NSWRA, ARA, PARC.. the list is long..

I will share with you that in 2002 ALL HPR rockets kits were re-classified as dual use weapons by Customs and the direction of the Department of Justice, requiring the same ministerial permission to import them as a commercial launch vehicle or weapons system (there must have been a John Ashcroft clone somewhere in Canberra :-)).

It was the unselfish work and advice of multiple people (regardless of affiliation) that resolved this issue and I have to say being part of TRA aided our case not weakened it.

Tripoli Australia IS an Australian Rocketry club with a national focus, it is affiliated with TRA (a global rocketry group) and its an affiliation that gets reviewed each and every year. While we as members perceive a benefit then I am sure we will remain part of the TRA family, if we dont then the option remains to try an alternative direction if thats what people choose to do.

Regards

David Wilkins

Reply to
David Wilkins

Believe me, I am painfully aware of that. I have probably met the clone personally.

Yes Wilkins and others forwarded it "fronting for Tripoli", but the TRA standards have been called into question by experts and federal agencies as well. The whole problem with NAR/TRA/NFPA is the limits are BOTH arbitrary and nonsense.

David, as I see it Tripoli centrally managed the USA situation we are in. I do not want to see the debacle exported and the process has started I assure you.

62.5g has even spread already.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

David, I hope you haven't taken my complaining personally, I know that the weather and the laws are largely out of your control but I still feel disappointed. :-( Chris

Reply to
Chris Dunkinson

Chris,

Take it personaly Hell no.. just pointing out to folks that it is an even bigger PIA for the organisers when we have to cancel and correcting a few misconceptions in another thread.

Best Regards

David Wilkins

Reply to
David Wilkins

I dont know about what TRA info we are fronting, but I have to say our response to government was a local creation. I do think demanding no regulations simply puts you onto the radar screen.. IMNSHO its way easier to work with govt that try to end run it.

Remember for every loophole you dreamup they have the ultimate fix.. new legislation and regulations.

We I disagree, as chairman of the IT Comittee I am a non-us based person, who is directly influencing Tripoli in the form of its IT. Along with the other members of the committee we are working hard to bring new faciltiies to the TRA members.

Sorry to disappoint you there.. it hasnt and is unlikely to spread here.. we had a minor sucess in the re-draft of our regulations in

2000, having the entire concept of "rocket motors" removed from the regulations and everything is treated by its UN hazard class.

Again sensible negotiating positions coupled with patience and persistence wins.

62.5g is a non-issue here its is it 1.3 or 1.4 that matters, unless your in Western Australia where they would be happy to only let us have D motors.

Regards

David Wilkins

Reply to
David Wilkins

You are painfully ignorant of U.S. Federal law. A hard exemption is not a "loophole".

A plan of action in anew locale, a state in Australia in this case, should be approached from the perspective of standards in place alright, but TRA "standards" are both NOT standard and also abusive.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

When you say they in West Oz who are your refering to. I have dicussed making my own motors with Dangerous goods and they cant make up their mind who is the controling department.

MMB WA Maniac at large

Reply to
Me2aswell