Australians

How many Aussies are here....?

do you make your own , fly kits , in a club or like me do your own thing for now?

Reply to
Me2aswell

I'm here, I live in Ringwood east of Melbourne.

I make my own and fly kits. The only club I know of around here is Tripoli Australia which flies out of Bendigo but they seem to cancel alot.

Where do you live? Maybe we can get together some time...

--Chris Dunkinson

chris13 (at) bigpond (dot) net (dot) au

----- Original Message ----- From: "Me2aswell" Newsgroups: rec.models.rockets Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 1:10 AM Subject: Australians

Reply to
Chris Dunkinson

Hi Chris Im Michael...down side I live in WA. South of Perth. Actually 2 Hours south of Perth.

I tend to build my own every thing but am going to try a kit one day for giggles.

Reply to
Me2aswell

Folks, I am in Brisbane and fly with a club (QRA) I tend to scratchbuild a lot, but about half the club members fly strictly kits. The poster in perth should look up PARC and see about flying with them. As a rule, there are clubs in most states in Australia, but the strength of each club depends upon the members, and that is the BEST reason to join the clubs... goodness knows QRA could do with significantly more members to grow, and as the club grows, so do the services, events, and regular flights.

Reply to
Des Bromilow

I would be interested in forming a north and south, east, west flying club in Oz.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What's all this rocket talk doing on rmr? :-)

What I want to know is: who is go> Folks,

Reply to
Richard Hubbard

is that like an athletic support device pageant? I don't think i'd be too interested in that......

Reply to
tater schuld

I've often wondered, do they have to launch up and recover down? ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

We fire our rockets into the ground and the gently float back up on parachutes.

Seriously, clubs here aren't that strong. Tripoli Aust. cancelled a shitload of launches this year and is on hiatus 'til April/March 2004 due to fire bans.

Reply to
Chris Dunkinson

Form an IEAS.org chapter and do better.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sorry to hear that. Hope it changes soon.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Can IEAS remove fire bans?

Reply to
Chris Dunkinson

In a sense, yes. We launch rockets in CA where fire bans are a way of life just like in southern states of Aus.

We have "negotiated workarounds" by closely following traditional safety rules (ie not NAR or TRA), and invited a fire rep to each and every launch. He usually brings his kids and an ice chest.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sweet! What about low cloud cover and rain? We've only had two rocket seasons this year, cloud cover and rain in winter followed fire bans in summer. If you're ever east of Melbourne and don't mind flying with an A-Der then drop me a line at chris13 [at] bigpond.net.au, the same goes for anyone else here!

Reply to
Chris Dunkinson

Michael,

I recall we have spoken on the phone.. you have three options;

  1. Talk to PARC (status currently unknown, last I spoke with them was in 2001)
  2. Talk to Tripoli Perth (contact info on
  3. Fly on your own.

IN WA case, make sure you have landholder permission, DOME permit and CASA waiver in place for operations > 400ft agl. DOME prohibits motors > I for use in Western Australia except for non-pyro Hybrids over which they have no regulatory authority.

As I always maintain its an individuals choice as to whom they choose to fly with, or even just go it alone.

Regards

David Wilkins President Tripoli Australia

Reply to
David Wilkins

Randy,

Nah they go up the same way they just spin in the opposite direction :-)

Regards

David Wilkins

Reply to
David Wilkins

Jerry,

The bans remain in place, and to launch in contravention of them risks substantial fines and if you start a fire imprisonment. Those who saw the footage of the fires that ravaged Canberra and Sydney in the last year will well remember this as those fires were in allot of cases deliberate acts!

You also risk the very future of rocketry here as we could be very quickly regulated out of existence should we not conduct ourselves as professionals and respect the laws as they are like them or not.

Tripoli Australia's primary launch site at Serpentine has launched during fire restriction periods with permission from the Country Fire Authority, and more importantly our gracious landholder.

Its the combination of fire restrictions and our landholders reluctance to allow these activities during the summer period that results in our hiatus. (And before you jump on it, our landholder is part of the days operations and has been for years, so he knows quite well what goes on during a launch)

Do we want to fly yes... Of course we do and we have tried a couple of alternate sites, but frankly the support we have from our landholder and the logistics of relocating launch equipment, and conditions of the permit it is just too much pain. (winds speed is the biggie for the CFA folks spent most of Easter 2001 cooling our heels waiting for it to drop to levels acceptable to the fire chiefs.)

Here we treat summer somewhat as our "winter" building season, and while we would love to fly during this period we have the ultimate respect for the wishes of our landholder and these come before any regulations or bush-lawyers advice on how to circumvent them.

Anyone who requires assistance with regulations in Oz is welcome to contact me direct at dwilkins (at) aat dot com dot au. If I don't have the answer I am certain I can point you toward the right person.

David Wilkins

Reply to
David Wilkins

Do you have a provision in law there as we do here that if the fire official is present, that is in effect a permit?

You are talking to me about fires? I have two homes within 2 miles of flames right now.

Proving my point. It can be done.

I just feel what is done in Oz needs to be sans Tripoli, a USA club.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

As Squiggy would have said: "I knew that, I knew that!" ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I think the parachutes rotate in the opposite direction on the way down.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine