Best Battery

What is the best type of battery (9v) to use in altimeters? Duracell?

--
Stephen Corban
NAR# 81338
Stephen wrote:

Depends:
- Which altimeter? Different brands consume power at different rates. - How long do you expect it to sit on the pad waiting to launch? - The duration of the flight? - How many Gs?
The best battery might not be the common 9 volt package, but a different battery in a different package.
There was a detailed discussion about batteries on the RDAS mailing list in May. The messages are still online.
http://www.topica.com/lists/rdas
Some recommend the Lithium Ultralife 9 volt which can last 3-4 times longer than the standard Alkaline battery, which can be very important if your rocket might sit for 30-60 minutes before it is launched. $8.99 each from Radio Shack. If the altimeter will also power additional equipment, such as a GPS transmitter, then you might need more power, such as a 9 volt, rechargeable, RC-toy battery pack.
Dean
Yep, it depends. If a properly designed altimeter then it should not matter how long it sits on the pad. Your only concern should be if the battery can supply enough current for the load(ematch). If you have an altimeter that you feel concerned about running for a couple hours then maybe you should think of something better. If they have accessories that increase the current draw it would be a bad design choice to have these run off the same supply that is insuring safety of the flight.
RDH8

gota agree with GP there, I only trust M3 and then only use them for one flight, why risk 170 rdas for a 3 battery. Use the old ones for Video tx units or camera's
Damian
-- Damian Burrin UKRA 1159 Level 2 EARS 1115 http://www.ukrocketry.com
email snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com email snipped-for-privacy@ukrocketry.com

Me, I use the Titanium E squared. Never had a problem with one yet. Lots of punch and at $3 apiece at Wal*Mart not to expensive. And I never reuse them in a rocket, just give them to the grand kids etc. Bill Richardson TRA 8703 L2
Stephen wrote:

9v lithium cells from rat shack.
nearly infinite shelf life (relatively speaking as it has a shelf life of over 10 years)
huge amount of power and it weighs a fraction of what an alkaline weighs.
problem is its expensive.
The way I do it with important electronics is never use the same battery twice. I replace EACH flight and then use the "used" batteries for somethign else such as a camera rocket etc..
Chris Taylor http://www.nerys.com /

Hi,
I have no experience with your hobby. But I thought I would come out of my lurking to suggest someone check out the batteries that come with Polaroid instant film packs. They are lithium and are depleted very little by the camera use as long as they did not span several years of photo taking.
They are very interesting and powerful batteries that are just thrown away.
Well... Back to lurking now. :)
Yours in comparative liberty,
Bill
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:59:46 -0400, While I was using pressure to stop
.

-- Bill
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" -- M.Python --.

Many years ago Estes made a PolaPulse launch system that used these batteries. If you went and spent millions to design a battery for rocket launchers, you'd end up with one of these! Always scrounge the old ones out of used film packs. They are great.