Big BP motors.....

What is/was the biggest professionally manufactured, commonly retailed BP engine? I actually flew an FSI Mach One Dart, which used the F-100 booster motor (with fins glued to the casing as per the directions), I forget the upper stage motor. I don't know if it went supersonic, but it was a very calm day and it was climbing very fast when I lost it - I found the rocket with it's 6 foot streamer 2 days later on the way to work, about 2 miles away. Never found the F-100 casing with fins.. I hear tell Centuri had some F's at one time. Is that it for BP or were there bigger ones? Neutrodyne

Reply to
John H. Smith

RocketFlite used to make some awesome large BP motors, in sizes F, G, and H.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Isn't there an H330 or so in the motor data files for WRASP?

-- Niall Oswald ========= UKRA 1345 L0 EARS 1151 MARS

"Gravity assisted pieces of the rocket raining from the sky should be avoided. It is also financially undesirable."

Reply to
Niall Oswald

John, I believe FSI also produced a G BP motor. I have an old catalog('87?) & I believe it is listed in it. DR

Reply to
Darian Rachal

WRONG!

FSI had a G range "Thunderbolt" motor that was APCP.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Not commonly retailed. Rocketflite.

Commonly retailed FSI and Mini-Max.

FSI was by far the resounding long-term success story.

D20-10 I think.

No way.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It was composite.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The biggest BP motor I've seen is the cloud-seeding rocket motor produced by Ruggieri in France. It's a light J (can't find the specs at the moment) and somewhere around 2-1/2" diameter and around 20" long.

Reply to
Mike Dennett

Ray, It's my understanding that they hope to produce motors in the future. I believe they are moving to a facility where this would be possible. DR

Reply to
Darian Rachal

Please tell us more about that.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

wow that would be cool.. back in Febraury a member of our club launched a RocketFlite H BP motor and it literally ROARED off the pad.....very impressive

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Another project was build a balsa glider from scratch using your own design. Well, I designed and built a glider with slightly swept back wings, about 3 foot wingspan, and the first flight went all the way across the field and landed gently on the grass. The aeronautic instructors jaw dropped and he said "Perfect flight, I want that plane". I received an hour of flight training in a cessna 150 for being the top student in class. This was when I was a 10th grader in high school. P.S. now that I think of it, I don't think the enerjet was a BP motor, that was almost 30 years ago. Dave B.

Reply to
bswarm

centuri bought coaster corp and their e and f BLACK POWDER motors and renamed them mini-max.

centuri also bought rocket development corp. they redesigned and relabeled the rdc enerjet e and f POLYURETHANE composite motors.

fwiw ... i have original documentation and samples of these motors.

Reply to
ZMikey

Yup, I have one sitting here. This bugger is HEAVY!

Reply to
Scott D. Hansen

You guys are breaking our tradition! Stop citing such accurate and historic information or some lurker may think that some people here are serious about rocketry! :-)>

Reply to
Gene

Post images and scans.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Tarnation Shockie !

Flying an un-certified motor at a club launch !

Will the humanity ever end ?

Reply to
almax

Hey at least it was not the ULTIMATE fopah, a USR motor.

Jerry

Done deal.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

gene: sorry about that....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Centuri didn't redesign anything when they bought RDC. R&D on the Enerjet motors with built-in delay trains (vs. the original Enerjet

8 with its external chunk of Thermalite) was already underway at the time RDC sold out to Centuri.

The Enerjet subsidiary was under constant pressure to cut the cost of the E&F motors to improve Centuri's profit margin - often at the expense of reliability...

Reply to
<mark.johnson