Walston vs rocket hunter

I've decided to get into telemetry as my rockets are going higher and farther. GPSflight is intriging but I want something small that will fit into a 29mm tube.

Which is better...Walston or Rockethunter? I'm looking for ease of use, battery availability, service, and of course accuracy.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Reply to
JimNietmann

I've used both. Rockethunter is the best by a long chalk. Range and accuracy seem much better, the trackers themselves are far more rugged (the Walston antenna connection is a serious weakpoint) and the batteries are user replaceable on the Rockethunter. Joe Mullins is also an excellent guy to deal with.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

I haven't compared the 2 but I watched a drag race of Shadow Composite kits. One was tube launched sabot style. The only thing I saw was foam floating down (and that's all the video saw, plus some smoke). The owner thought it drifted West of the site and headed out. When he came back he said he got to the road and found RH pointing him to the East side of the range and it was already down. Led him right to it a couple of fields over East of the range, I'm guessing 1/2 to a mile from were he first checked. I'm a believer.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Lots of Rocket Hunters seem to fail in flight.

Walston is by far the best choice.

Jim

Reply to
RoCkeT FlyA

How?

Why?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

I've never seen that. What kind of failures?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Loss of signal or inability to track the rocket while in flight. Walston is much easier to track in flight.

Rocket Hunters seem to lose their signal dramatically while on the ground. Walston loses some but nothing like RH.

I own a RH but am looking at Walston.

Reply to
RoCkeT FlyA

I own a Watson. I wouldn't give two cents for the Adept. It is a terrible system, period. The Watson is excellent. The transmitters have an incredible range. The heart of the system is in the receiver which is very sensitive. Basically, the Watson is just a Wildlife Material system with the Watson label attached -

You can cut your cost in half by buying from wildlifematerial. You can purchase a similar transmitter from Wildlife or other vendors specializing in tracking falcons or small animals. The range these units deliver are excellent. More important, the user base is large and involves tracking objects that travel great distances and land in areas not transmitter friendly. The larger user base ensures greater reliability otherwise they would not be in business for over 20 years. The units are for animals and are built rugged and can take a beating and keep on transmitting. I always put a beacon on board even though I have been using GPSFlight tracking system to do most of my tracking. The beacon will transmit for months and will function even after very bad landings. The 2m band makes it a good choice when you launch in wooded areas are areas with lots of grass.

Reply to
Arnold Roquerre