Bigger chute, dual chute?

Where are they?

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Speaking of rediculously large motors, the first ones are almost always static tested for thrust and pressure, and then flight tested for dynamics, all instrumented. But no "payloads". There is sure a lot of "free" payload space being wasted in this process. HUNDREDS OF POUNDS PER FLIGHT. If only I had a waiting list.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I think they would fit just fine in the 3 foot diameter rocket too.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
James Gartrell

There's all kinds of test instrumentation that comes to mind.

I have a NIST traceable 10 channel digital temperature recorder. It samples at the rate of 100 per second, from -64F to 2,300F, up to 10 hours. It weighs about 2 lbs and would fit in a 6" x 12" payload bay. You could put thermocouples in the exhaust stream, along the motor and just outside the rocket body. Did I mention it cost me $15,000?

How about a load cell? The motor can push on the load cell and the load cell can transmit the force to the rocket. I have a load cell that travels + and - , up to 50,000 lbs force each way and it's calibrated in grams. That should take any motor you can make Jerry. ;-) I also have small 5,000 lb load cells too.

We could put strain sensors all over a rocket. The first place that comes to mind is on the fins. With these we could measure cyclic loading and bending fatuge.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

I still have a case of very thin, odd sized, tubes. I think we were going to test various Fiberglasing methods with them.

Everything else he sent me was tested and is on the materials test site.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Might be time for another fork-lift.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

This sounds like the formation of a plan. How about we shoot for a July primary meeting on this at/near LDRS.

The two flights scheduled are a 9" x 12 foot (13,000 lb thrust) and a

36" the remainder I cannot say.

These are not consumer rockets.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sorry for being unclear. I was wondering where the pictures of the 'big firing' are on Jerry's web site.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Need to know.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The Gates Brother's Jhawk came down on 2 chutes. An incredibly awesome sight to behold. They spread out what seemed like 90d from each other and both stayed 'in show' for the whole recovery. Much different than footage I've seen of the Apollo where the 3 appear to be fairly close to each other.

Joel.phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I think you meant 72 INCH not 72 FEET!

Bob Kaplow

Darren In all the cases I can remember, the chutes were packed seperately. I was involved with one project where 6 chutes were used.....three on the nose and three on the main body. All were packed seperately. We had one chute, on the main body, open earlier than the other two and it blew out a pannel. The body weighed over 300lbs, though and the recovery was still OK:-). The 3 on the

150lb nose cone opened fine. The 3, 34 inchers should work well. Using 3 chutes (or any number of chutes more than one) should increase the possibility of tangleing something:-). I've never seen it happen, though. I'd pack them seperately, wrap them in a blanket and give them a try. That being said and after thinking about it.......I CAN see the possible merrits of packing all three chutes together and then putting them in the blanket. I've just never seen it done that way. Also, with chutes of this size, I wouldn't think it would be necessary:-). Good luck!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary LDRS LD/RSO Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

That'll teach you for banning Jerry.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Shhh! He programmed the Beagle. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

,

It sounds like perfect conversation over Yeungling Lager! I already have my room booked.

PARTY AT DOC'S!

What, no big ones? ;-)

Ya think?

Reply to
Doc

"Doc"

Ummmm, yeah, or was that centimeters? ;-) Oh well, it probably doesn't mater, I have to get back to programming the Beagle 2. ;-)

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Doc

Depends on who's doin' the "consuming", I suppose...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

WANT to know is more likely.

I want to tell, but some people actually honor commercial contracts. Someone notify Rogers, Brennion, Kosdon, etc of the concept. They already have seen the consequences of failure and seem fine with it so long as "screw Jerry" has been accomplished.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine