[F-FT] E-motor Space Ship One first impressions

Just picked up the new Estes E-motor SS1 kit. First impressions are mostly positive, but the major portion of it is styrofoam (well molded and fairly dense, but still styrofoam). The majority of the assembly is done with silicone glue, with many steps calling for 24 hour drying between steps. Quick assembly won't be occurring.

The nose cone and tail section are molded plastic, and there is clay weight for the nose. The holes for the windows appear to be 'properly' molded into the nose cone, and there are two full (large) pages of decals. The packaging was well designed in order to hold all of the parts without damage. It is in a box, and the two large styrofoam halves are taped to opposite sides of the box, with the heavy plastic nose cone in a completely separate section to prevent shipping damage.

The kit has an 18" nylon chute, and is designed for the Estes 'E' engines. I would be very hesitant to fly this on any more powerful engines, but might try it on an Aerotech E at some point. If it turns out to be stronger than expected, I might try to use an Apogee long-burn E to fly it.

I would add that they appear to have learned the lesson of having 'E' engines burn through a long stuffer tube, as they have a long 'sleeve' that is installed on the body tube above the engine, which essentially doubles the thickness of the tube for the 3" or so above the engine.

Don't know how soon I'll be able to build this, but I'll let folks know how it progresses (if there's any interest)'

The one question I do have is how one could 'seal' the styrofoam to make it last a little longer, and not soak up any liquid. Any ideas would be appreciated.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

white glue?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Oh, I think you'll have no problem finding interest...please do let us know how it progresses. As for sealer, I guess Shockie's got the right idea, inexpensive yet effective.

Reply to
bob352

You could try acrylic paint, or Future floor polish, both work well with an air brush, don't add too much weight and they won't bother styrofoam.

Bob

Reply to
Bob n Robin