[F-ft] BP model rocket motor market size

does anybody really know how many BP 1/4A-D model rocket motors are sold here in the USA by Estes and Quest?

On a yearly basis?

How about worldwide? (does this even matter?)

1 million a year? 2 ? 5?

Since Quest has NO BP D ( they do have a composite D on the horizon), Estes has a defacto monopoly on BP DE motors here in the USA.

There is currently NO BP F motor market. (Market opportunity?)

Also since Quest does not manufacturer nor sell 1/4A-A mini motors (although to their credit they have created the micro-maxx 1/8A market which Estes has of course ignored.), Estes has again a defacto monopoly here too.

The only market space Estes and Quest "butt" heads are in the "traditional"

18mm A-C "bread n butter" space.

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

About a million a month IIRC.

Bob Kaplow

"shockwaveriderz" wrote in news:8w0te.63251$x96.17867@attbi_s72:

I wouldnt get too caught up in the composition of the motor. My reasoning is that the Joe Average rocket flyer just buys a motor powerful enough for his rocket and doesnt care whether its made out of BP, ACPC, Unobtainium, or butter. Whatever the model shop has in stock, really.

Reply to
GD

When I was getting my MBA I spoke with Mary Roberts about the marketing involved in Model Rocketry. (This was in the early 90's.) She declined to provide actual numbers but indicated that Estes estimated something like 20 million launches a year.

Bill Sullivan

"Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills." - Lazarus Long

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist