[Announcement] ROCI Launch June 25 and 26

ROCI will be flying HPR at the AMA in Muncie, Indiana. All rocketeers are welcome.

June 25th & 26th, $10.00 per day or $15 for both days. Under 18 free.

Schedule (Both days): 9:00 AM - Set up range 9:45 AM - Registration begins 10:00 AM - Start launch operations 5:00 PM - Range closes, start range tear down and field clean up

We have secured a FAA Waiver to 8000' AGL. However, based on weather conditions, we reserve the right impose stricter "Soft Limits". A "K" motor limit will be in effect.

===== Additional information =====

Registration:

Before you bring a rocket up to the Safety Check-in Table, be sure that you have:

  • Filled out and signed the registration form * Paid your daily range fee * Received a badge/card that indicates your name and high power certification level (if applicable) * Have filled out a flight card. Extra flight cards are available at the Registration Table.

Check in:

Any flyer wishing to exceed the established soft limits must obtain approval from the Check-in Officer PRIOR to preparing the rocket for flight. When permission to exceed the soft limits is obtained, the flyer should prepare the rocket for flight and present it to the Check-in Officer in the normal manner.

Complex rockets, (multi-motor, staged, etc) will be handled in the same manner as rockets that exceed the soft limits.

Certified Motors:

Only motors certified by NAR or TRA will be allowed to fly. To find out if your motor is certified, a list will be posted at the Registration Table and the Safety Check-in Table.

Volunteers:

A high power launch requires a large amount of teamwork. Please consider volunteering for a range duty shift to help make this launch a success. We will temporarily suspend launch operations anytime there are not enough volunteers to fill all range duty positions.

High Power Certification:

NAR Level 1 and 2 certification flights may be attempted each day. If you do not already have a Certification Team, talk with the RSO and one will be provided for you. Be sure your team is with you prior to prepping your rocket.

Spectators:

Please stay clear of the official range head area (where the launch control personnel work) unless you have business there. No alcoholic beverages may be consumed on site.

No smoking allowed in prep, check-in, vendor, or flying areas. Please keep children and pets under your close supervision. If your rocket lands in one of the launch pad areas, wait until that area is disarmed before recovering your rocket.

Trash:

Every participant and spectator is responsible for his or her own trash. Small trash bags will be available at the registration tent. Please check your prep area carefully at the end of each day and remove all trash.

Right to Fly:

The range crew have no obligation to allow models to fly. If, in their best judgment, a model is unsafe then it shall not pass through check-in. If technical doubts are present then they will consult with the Range Safety Officer. The Range Safety Officer also has no obligation to allow models to fly. The Range Safety Officer?s decisions may not be appealed. The Launch Director may shut down the range whenever the conditions warrant it. The Launch Directors decision to close the range cannot be appealed.

WARNING! Due to other events scheduled at the Aeromodeling Center NO RADIO CONTROL (R/C) WILL BE PERMITTED.

Communications:

We will be using Family Radio Service (FRS) channels 4 and 5 (462.6375 and 462.6625 MHz FM) for official range communications. If you have a set of FRS radios for personal communications, please stay off channels

4 and 5.
Reply to
Mario Perdue

I just saw two exciting documentaries on cable TV about model rocketry and a national meet in Kansas. They didn't specifically mention if the public is routinely invited to attend either local club events or national meets, particularly of the high powered rockets. Nor did I see a clear answer on the Northern Illinois group's website. I live about a half hour southwest of Chicago. I would love to see such flights in person. Can one just show up and pay a fee to watch? Or would I have to join a club? Due to cerebral palsy, I use a wheelchair for mobility and I don't drive a car, so I know some sites would be difficult to access, but I would love to try to get to one nearby, and maybe the Kansas meet, too.

I've never done anything mechanical, so I don't think I could build or fly my own.

Thanks for your answers in advance, from a 49 year old follower of space and aviation history.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M. Zumbo

Jerry Irvine

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the link failed.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M. Zumbo

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

No need to join or pay as a spectator. If you have the time feel free to come down and watch.

Our launches are not as large as what they have in Kansas but we have a good time. Our launch site has very good access so I think you could be accommodated without any trouble.

Mario

Reply to
Mario Perdue

LDRS 2004 charged a $5 per day parking fee for spectators.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I have.

LDRS-2001.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

sorry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

IIRC, Balls also charges (or has charged in the past) for spectators, as the BLM wants their cut for anyone there.

But for local, even regi>

Reply to
AZ Woody

BLM does not charge a per person fee. They charge a per event fee. It makes sense to charge the USERS for that small $25-50 EVENT fee out of the many excessively large $40-80 PER PERSON fees TRA/Balls charges to the users.

If TRA/Balls charges a spectator fee it is a "pure profit fee".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

To expand on what Mario has said, Near the range head is a gravel parking lot, Check in usually has several large canopy on the grass where you could get out of the sun if neccessary. I Will be there next weekend with two other club members. One will be testing his GPS tracking unit and the other will be flying his K skidmark motor. If you come and need help getting around I will keep an eye out for you.

Dennis Watk>> Can one just show up and pay a fee to watch? Or would I have to join a >> club?

Reply to
D&JWatkins

The moral of this story is don't insult your hosts.

Reply to
Phil Stein

There's no costs associated with spectators? Matbe no BLM costs. Oh yea - i'm asking the wrong guy since you have no way of knowing.

Reply to
Phil Stein

jerry=Zippy

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

How. Buy asking if I may attend, saying "please". And having the President of the sponsoring national association say "yes".

??

Besides even the general public at large were invited to attend per posters at the local stores.

I do seem to be a member of the general public at large.

Besides, what would be the purpose of sending a team of three large guys to forceably remove a spectator who has said or done nothing since arrival?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No "marginal" cost. BLM Potties FAA ATF - ROFL

Large marginal benefit. (new member prospects)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Did not happen.

That's debatable.

Did not happen.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

The purpose would be to remove a member who had created problems in the past, in order to pre-emptively prevent them from happening that time.

You are obviously referring to something that happened to you, and I have no knowledge of what their basis was to remove you, but to simply ask that question shows that you don't "get it".

I was a member of another 'user group' who had a member who went bananas for a while, forcing a schism in the group. The individual in question would try and disrupt meetings and the business of the group (to the point were a security guard was hired to protect the secretary). You can bet your bottom dollar that every time that individual showed up, that he was told to leave, and that if/when he didn't do so, the police were called for trespassing.

The same is true of a 'public' launch -- it's only public insofar as those who have permission from the 'owner' of the property deem it so. If it is on BLM land, and a permit has been granted for a specific area, then they have the 'right' to keep anyone at all from 'trespassing' within the event parameters.

If you were asked to leave some launch, for real or imagined reasons, the proper response is to either a) not go, or b) change the behavior that caused you to be ejected in the first place. I think/believe that you may have gone with option c) to do your own/attend others launches.

Regardless, it is naive/juvenile to give the "little old me wasn't doing anything, why were they picking on me???" mantra.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

None of your "criteria" for removal (trespassing) were activated then or ever.

You can speculate otherwise but it would not be the case.

And at what point does my saying please and the TRA President saying YES have any weight at LDRS-2001, a TRA event?

Hmmm?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine