[Announcement] ROCI Launch June 25 and 26

ROCI will be flying HPR at the AMA in Muncie, Indiana. All rocketeers are welcome.
June 25th & 26th, $10.00 per day or $15 for both days. Under 18 free.
Schedule (Both days): 9:00 AM - Set up range 9:45 AM - Registration begins 10:00 AM - Start launch operations 5:00 PM - Range closes, start range tear down and field clean up
We have secured a FAA Waiver to 8000' AGL. However, based on weather conditions, we reserve the right impose stricter "Soft Limits". A "K" motor limit will be in effect.
===== Additional information ===Registration:
Before you bring a rocket up to the Safety Check-in Table, be sure that you have:
* Filled out and signed the registration form * Paid your daily range fee * Received a badge/card that indicates your name and high power certification level (if applicable) * Have filled out a flight card. Extra flight cards are available at the Registration Table.
Check in:
Any flyer wishing to exceed the established soft limits must obtain approval from the Check-in Officer PRIOR to preparing the rocket for flight. When permission to exceed the soft limits is obtained, the flyer should prepare the rocket for flight and present it to the Check-in Officer in the normal manner.
Complex rockets, (multi-motor, staged, etc) will be handled in the same manner as rockets that exceed the soft limits.
Certified Motors:
Only motors certified by NAR or TRA will be allowed to fly. To find out if your motor is certified, a list will be posted at the Registration Table and the Safety Check-in Table.
Volunteers:
A high power launch requires a large amount of teamwork. Please consider volunteering for a range duty shift to help make this launch a success. We will temporarily suspend launch operations anytime there are not enough volunteers to fill all range duty positions.
High Power Certification:
NAR Level 1 and 2 certification flights may be attempted each day. If you do not already have a Certification Team, talk with the RSO and one will be provided for you. Be sure your team is with you prior to prepping your rocket.
Spectators:
Please stay clear of the official range head area (where the launch control personnel work) unless you have business there. No alcoholic beverages may be consumed on site.
No smoking allowed in prep, check-in, vendor, or flying areas. Please keep children and pets under your close supervision. If your rocket lands in one of the launch pad areas, wait until that area is disarmed before recovering your rocket.
Trash:
Every participant and spectator is responsible for his or her own trash. Small trash bags will be available at the registration tent. Please check your prep area carefully at the end of each day and remove all trash.
Right to Fly:
The range crew have no obligation to allow models to fly. If, in their best judgment, a model is unsafe then it shall not pass through check-in. If technical doubts are present then they will consult with the Range Safety Officer. The Range Safety Officer also has no obligation to allow models to fly. The Range Safety Officer’s decisions may not be appealed. The Launch Director may shut down the range whenever the conditions warrant it. The Launch Directors decision to close the range cannot be appealed.
WARNING! Due to other events scheduled at the Aeromodeling Center NO RADIO CONTROL (R/C) WILL BE PERMITTED.
Communications:
We will be using Family Radio Service (FRS) channels 4 and 5 (462.6375 and 462.6625 MHz FM) for official range communications. If you have a set of FRS radios for personal communications, please stay off channels 4 and 5.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I just saw two exciting documentaries on cable TV about model rocketry and a national meet in Kansas. They didn't specifically mention if the public is routinely invited to attend either local club events or national meets, particularly of the high powered rockets. Nor did I see a clear answer on the Northern Illinois group's website. I live about a half hour southwest of Chicago. I would love to see such flights in person. Can one just show up and pay a fee to watch? Or would I have to join a club? Due to cerebral palsy, I use a wheelchair for mobility and I don't drive a car, so I know some sites would be difficult to access, but I would love to try to get to one nearby, and maybe the Kansas meet, too.
I've never done anything mechanical, so I don't think I could build or fly my own.
Thanks for your answers in advance, from a 49 year old follower of space and aviation history.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

www.flyrocketsnow.com
βœ–

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the link failed.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
http://www.flyrockets.com /
shockie B)

Add pictures here
βœ–

sorry
βœ–
Stephen M. Zumbo wrote:

No need to join or pay as a spectator. If you have the time feel free to come down and watch.

Our launches are not as large as what they have in Kansas but we have a good time. Our launch site has very good access so I think you could be accommodated without any trouble.
Mario
Add pictures here
βœ–
To expand on what Mario has said, Near the range head is a gravel parking lot, Check in usually has several large canopy on the grass where you could get out of the sun if neccessary. I Will be there next weekend with two other club members. One will be testing his GPS tracking unit and the other will be flying his K skidmark motor. If you come and need help getting around I will keep an eye out for you.
Dennis Watkins

Add pictures here
βœ–
D&JWatkins wrote: One will be testing his GPS tracking unit and

I got to push the button on am AMW K1000 Skidmark yesterday. All I can say is WOW!
Add pictures here
βœ–

?
Thanks, Mario and Dennis. Your answers are encouraging. I didn't see the name of your club or location of your event site. Hopefully, if it's it's in northern Illinois or Indiana, I could get there sometime in the near future and experience launches.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Group is ROCI, it's launches are held at Muncie,IN at the AMA national headquarters.
Dennis

Add pictures here
βœ–

It's about a 4 hour drive from the Chicago area, depending on where you start. And ROCI has a launch this weekend. I try to make the Muncie launches, but am booked up this weekend. I should be back for the fall launch.
meanwhile, back to the original poster, in the Chicago area, the next NIRA launch is 17-July. See the NIRA link below for directions.
Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force. -- Amanda, "Journey to Babel," stardate 3842.3
Add pictures here
βœ–

LDRS 2004 charged a $5 per day parking fee for spectators.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
βœ–
IIRC, Balls also charges (or has charged in the past) for spectators, as the BLM wants their cut for anyone there.
But for local, even regional launches, I can't recall ever hearing of one that charged for spectators. I've been at regional launches where 5 folks might be there to support a launch, but only the launcher had to pay a fee.. I think that was the case when the Gila Monster kicked the Gate's Bros butts at Springfest a few years back!
writes:

Add pictures here
βœ–

BLM does not charge a per person fee. They charge a per event fee. It makes sense to charge the USERS for that small $25-50 EVENT fee out of the many excessively large $40-80 PER PERSON fees TRA/Balls charges to the users.
If TRA/Balls charges a spectator fee it is a "pure profit fee".
Jerry
βœ–

There's no costs associated with spectators? Matbe no BLM costs. Oh yea - i'm asking the wrong guy since you have no way of knowing.
Add pictures here
βœ–

No "marginal" cost. BLM Potties FAA ATF - ROFL
Large marginal benefit. (new member prospects)
βœ–
zippy the Irvine wrote:

jerry=Zippy
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jerry Irvine wrote:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.models.rockets/msg/05269c61ba040728
Gee, let's see. I can believe Tony Alcocer, who's a stable, rational, reliable human being, or I can believe you, who has a fine assessed by a federal agency for either being clueless about, or disregarding regulations.
-Kevin
Add pictures here
βœ–

Radical thought.