I just got finished putting together my SS1 last eve with painting and finishing to follow today. First thing I did was to replace the clay with BB's epoxied into place. So now they're saying add an additional
1/2oz to the nose? Great, I was going to do that anyway to assure the Aerotech D motor I plan on putting in it wouldn't throw things off, now I have to wonder if it needs still more trim weight. They could have done better with that little cardboard stand to help with attaching/aligning the wings. A good idea that has inferior application. The stand needs to be markly wider to be effective. I started a 1.5x upscale while waiting for glues to set that should solve that problem because it'll be sorta kinda TTW. The two wings being one piece and fitting into slots cut in the body. Looks also to be a potentially good spot for electronics in a larger upscale (thinking a 6x that uses my HyperTEK!). Nice little kit though, even with the glitches.
Oh, and if it requires no wind to safely launch I guess they never intented the kit to ever fly, thus the trim weight issues never came up during R+D. I've seen only one no-wind launch day in 2 years.
current kit comes with 2 "butter pats" of clay for a total of about 13 grams and they are going to change that to 4 "butter pats" or 2 "cubes" for a total of just over 1 ounce of clay.
locations with and without motors.
causing aft c.g. shift in some models.
cross wind. The instructions say NOT to launch in wind, but you know how some folks read instructions (not).