Current mesages

Tweak wrote:

Hi Tweak,
No, I believe the words were stronger and you are wrong. As long as the mist/particle size is small enough, a few coats of color will fill in the valleys and the finish will be smooth. If done right you can only feel the roughness with your hand not really see it. I was always wrong sanding to ultra-fine finish of the primer before shooting the color. Of course if you really want "glass", wet sand the color coat and shoot several coats of lacquer. It is extremely tedious but boy does the car wax make it look nice. I've also found the one can get away with a cheaper color coat if they are going to invest the time in wet sanding and shooting lacquer. Been lucky sometimes in shooting a good quality of color that it looks so good, I don't bother with the lacquer. Yes I do like to fly sometime! :)
Kurt Savegnago
@sbcglobal.net says...

Wrong? Believe what you will. If you have to wet sand the color coat for anything more than the adhesive requirements for clear, then the surface prep was inadequate. Wet the primered surface with water before you paint the basecoat and that will give you a good indication of what it will look like when sprayed.
Now, if you want to have a little contest...
--
Tweak

Tweak wrote:

No need,
I think we are doing the same thing. Look I used to sand primer ultra fine, shoot color and would chip and flake off easily with normal landings. Sputter was a poor choice of words on my part. For final primer coat that I already sanded, I guess a better term would be shoot a light coat and not sand it. The sanding of the color coat is only like you state above and I fully agree if one is going to shoot the lacquer. If I were get the surface prep perfect and a light coat of primer looked good, I wouldn't sand, let it dry, shoot color and go from there. Sounds right? (Gee, a rational discussion here withoug screaming, flaming or insulting. Cool) :)
Kurt Savegnago
<whack>

I had a process and testing technician at an automotive paint manufacturer that I used to work for show me how, that with judicious application, a little medium strength wax & grease remover would "soften" the color coat just enough so that the clear would grab.
Works like a charm. Although, the keyword is "judicious", as if you use too strong of a wax & grease remover, or use a little too much elbow grease for too long, then off comes the color coat.
The same works for primer to color coat bond too.
Took a little practice...
FWIW..
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

Then there's Future Floor Wax. Been using it for years on my rockets. Works great and easy to clean.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

Heard about the Future Floor Wax but is it safe to use over the color coat before shooting a clear lacquer?
Kurt Savegnago
<snip>

No, it *replaces* the clear lacquer. Lacquer's a bad thing anyway. It's really not very sturdy as a top coat. Clear automotive polyurethane is the way to go. Extremely hard, durable finish.
Or, Future which is essentially a water-based acrylic clear.
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
Kurt wrote:

No no, I mean to use the wax as a alternative to the clear coat. Every fall I clean off the wax with Windex and elbow grease and in the spring I recoat with Future.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
@sbcglobal.net says...

Well, we can fix the civility issue right now, you stupid bastard.
There, how is that? ;-)
--
Tweak

Tweak wrote:

I don't know, it's missing something. Can you do it like jerry?
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net says...

Aroint thee! Speaketh not of one of the unholy trinity, lest thee bring him as flies cometh to dung.
--
Tweak

Tweak wrote:

That's pretty good, but You didn't mention the FAQ or repeatedly call Someone a moron, but otherwise You captured the spirit.
Dave Grayvis wrote:

Point.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:04:04 -0800, David Erbas-White

This should be in the FAQ.
<g>
Just Tech Tod
<vbg>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

many snips

That all seems quite civil and also focused on associated CONTENT.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Finally, a sense of humor thread!
Kurt Savegnago
snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

Yeah, now I feel all warm and fuzzy.
Tweak wrote:

Cool :) ;)
Kurt Savegnago

Yeah, right! Like we're going to get in a chicken eating contest with you.
Randy www.vernarockets.com
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Chainsaws at ten paces.