Current mesages

No need,

I think we are doing the same thing. Look I used to sand primer ultra fine, shoot color and would chip and flake off easily with normal landings. Sputter was a poor choice of words on my part. For final primer coat that I already sanded, I guess a better term would be shoot a light coat and not sand it. The sanding of the color coat is only like you state above and I fully agree if one is going to shoot the lacquer. If I were get the surface prep perfect and a light coat of primer looked good, I wouldn't sand, let it dry, shoot color and go from there. Sounds right? (Gee, a rational discussion here withoug screaming, flaming or insulting. Cool) :)

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

I had a process and testing technician at an automotive paint manufacturer that I used to work for show me how, that with judicious application, a little medium strength wax & grease remover would "soften" the color coat just enough so that the clear would grab.

Works like a charm. Although, the keyword is "judicious", as if you use too strong of a wax & grease remover, or use a little too much elbow grease for too long, then off comes the color coat.

The same works for primer to color coat bond too.

Took a little practice...

FWIW..

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Then there's Future Floor Wax. Been using it for years on my rockets. Works great and easy to clean.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Heard about the Future Floor Wax but is it safe to use over the color coat before shooting a clear lacquer?

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

No, it *replaces* the clear lacquer. Lacquer's a bad thing anyway. It's really not very sturdy as a top coat. Clear automotive polyurethane is the way to go. Extremely hard, durable finish.

Or, Future which is essentially a water-based acrylic clear.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

No no, I mean to use the wax as a alternative to the clear coat. Every fall I clean off the wax with Windex and elbow grease and in the spring I recoat with Future.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Yep! I do that too.

I also tend to use paint as fill & finish. ; )

Randy

<randyolb

Yeah, right! Like we're going to get in a chicken eating contest with you.

Randy

<randyolb

That's why after I finish building mine, I hand them to Verna and go find the ball game on tv. ; )

Reply to
<randyolb

Chainsaws at ten paces.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Well, we can fix the civility issue right now, you stupid bastard.

There, how is that? ;-)

Reply to
Tweak

I don't know, it's missing something. Can you do it like jerry?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Aroint thee! Speaketh not of one of the unholy trinity, lest thee bring him as flies cometh to dung.

Reply to
Tweak

That's pretty good, but You didn't mention the FAQ or repeatedly call Someone a moron, but otherwise You captured the spirit.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Point.

Reply to
David Erbas-White

This should be in the FAQ.

Just Tech Tod

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

many snips

That all seems quite civil and also focused on associated CONTENT.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Cool :) ;)

Kurt Savegnago