Digetal photo question

I've got an Olympus D560 that uses XD cards. Is there a device that permits one to download the card into a memory stick or something and then later transfer it to my computer when I get home? I've got a 256 MB memory card but at max resolution this permits only about 150 photos. In the field or out traveling this means that either I edit photos each day and dump the duds or I buy a second card. XD cards aren't cheap. 256 MB for example runs you about $135.00 So, a device that would let you down load content in the field would be great. Does any such device exist?

Reply to
Reece Talley

Bring your computer with you and download every once in a while? I have a 128mb SD card and a reader I do not use because my computer is my primary unloader and rmr readrs know how often I am by a computer :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Me no have laptop. Me have only primitive desktop. Me no able to travel with computer. Me primitive.

Reply to
Reece Talley

iBook G4 $1100 :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

For $200-$400 they make DIgital Wallets.

a small hard drive in a case and memory card slots.

you can download to one of these.

I believe radio shack has one.

Or buy an "older" tablet computer from ebay that has at least a 2g hard drive and a pcmcia socket ($100-$300)

DO a search for point 510. this is a very good choice. Color. 1.5 to 2 hrs run time and you can use it for other stuff. Its about the size and weight of a large collegel text book and touchscreen. they can be napped for $150 and under. simetimes under $100

they have a 2gig drive which you can upgrade easily to 4g. more than enough for your use. then when at home at a 802.11 wireless card for a wireless web pad.

you can also use it to syn your PDA if you have one etc..

if you can afford it get a point 1600 ($150 to $400) its a P166mhz can do 98 very comfortably. powerful enough to do gps and anything else you want (rocksim etc..) and also has a USB port for those cheapy rocket camera downloads.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

goto ebay right now.

here is one

6gig drive already installed !! $200 but it now but if you toss in $150 minimum bid you will probably get it.

it ends roughly 1300 est. this is a GOOD DEAL if I had the money I would just use the buy it now for $200 and reasonable $22 shipping.

their is another for BIN $150 and BIN $175

DAMN IT I wish I had the money. the $150 BIN one has a 6g drive as well. THIS is nice. I would get it right away. you will not be dissappointed with these machines.

to power in your car goto pepboys and get a $20 70w inverter.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

The Apple iPod now features just such a capability, using a special card reader available from Belkin. See:

and

As the iPod offers capacities up to 40GB, you can go nuts with your digital camera, AND have all of your tunes with you in the field. In addition to Macs, the iPod also works with Microsoft NT 2000 and XP systems.

James _______________________

James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
James Duffy

thats actually pretty cool. but an ipod costs almost as much as a laptop so unless you already have one or are planning to get one its a very expensive gadget ($300-$500 plus adaptor)

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

True, you can purchase a new low-end laptop in the $600 range. Note, however, that it would be a pain in the ass to use on a field photo shoot, not to mention heavy. That's the beauty of the iPod and Belkin Media Reader: it's small, light, easy to use, and a simple matter to use in the field. Plus, it's a great personal music player, a FireWire hard drive, and even has some rudimentary PDA capabilities.

James ____________________________

James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
James Duffy

I know it has an available dimm socket. Wonder what the max for memory is?

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Chris Taylor Jr wrote:

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Nah. get a $400 sub notebook off ebay. not "that" much bigger than an ipod. and it can serve LOTS of other purposes. like SHOWING your pictures back at the hotel etc.. COnnecting to the internet in your room etc.. etc.. Report writing. article writing. Rock Sim simming.

all things no ipod can do.

my tablet is VERY portable. its about the size of a ream of paper (little thinner)

If you can nab a libretto computer about the size of a VHS cassette.

All for a lot less than an ipod.

now if you want a nice hard drive mp3 player and have the money the ipod is very nice.

for any other use it is a very spendy and ineffecient machine. using it to download image is only nice if you happen to already have one or are getting one.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

It can take 160megs of ram (not officially but it works its what I am running)

that first one IS the one I was talking about. VERY VERY VERY good deal. I would buy it in the blink of an eye if I had the money right now.

Chris Taylor Jr

I'm surprised there isn't a device that you can slot a memory card into and it'll write it onto a CDR for you. A 256Mb card would fit nicely onto one of those 8cm CDRs. I'm surprised they don't do memory cards with the same capacity as a CDR.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck