Washing Nomex Flame Shields

Will BP residue wash off? I've got some flame shields that are in good
shape but really loaded with crud. I'm toying with throwing then in the
washing machine but I'm afraid I may spend the next two weeks living in the
garage if I do.
Reply to
Bill Wehner
White vinegar bath or in a bowl with soap and water.
As for the garage, that's where the rockets are! Stop whining!
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
You want to "CLEAN" your chute protectors? Are you nuts? That is a badge of honor. It shows that you actually FLY those rockets. It gives you a quick supply of "rocket scent" in between launches when you are longing for rocket activities.
I can't believe anybody would wash their chute protectors. You're probably the same kind of guy who would carry a Harley around on a trailer instead of riding it. Your rockets probably all have award winning mirror smooth paint jobs and you wash and wax them immediately after each flight.
Ugly Rockets Rule!
8-)
-- Eric Benner TRA # 8975 L2 NAR # 79398
Reply to
Eric Benner
Good point!
Bill Wehner TRA #08913 L2 NAR #79387 L2 METRA
Reply to
Bill Wehner
Could try the local laudromat.
RDH8
Reply to
Robert DeHate
Messing up the Wife's washing machine is an automatic in-the-doghouse offense. Don't risk it! ;-)
-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1
Reply to
J.A. Michel
In article , "Eric Benner" wrote:
That was my first impression at both LDRS-1 and Danville Dare.
Culture shock supreme.
It's the Lucerne lifestyle.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Do it on purpose to get sent to the garage with the rockets. According to Oprah, girls "want it" as much as the man,or more.[no first hand evidence to support it]
Tell her, thanks for the break.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Eric So what's wrong with putting a Harley in a trailer????? Enclosed of course. Wouldn't want to get it DIRTY! and BUGS........... PLEASE:-)! Besides, after a couple of hours on my Heritage Classic........I gotta stand up for a while! Lot's less time on my Sporster:-). Trailers are the ONLY way to go for those 2000 mile trips..... Unless your butt is made of the same stuff the cylinders are:-)! Bill.... as to washing the Nomax blankets. Don't take the chance on messing up the wifes washing machine. Hell hath no fury like a women who's cloths have been soiled! Been there, done that...don't EVER want to do it again! Mines Italian. Last time I used her machine and her dainties came out less white than usual, the only two English words I caught were "nuts" and "Quesanard" (SP?). I don't think she was talking about making Almond Paste, either:-)! Put lots of soap and hot water in a bucket, get some heavy rubber gloves and have at it! More "hands on" that way, anyway:-).
Fly Naked!
Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll
Reply to
Actionxprs
LOL!!
Reply to
RayDunakin
If you absolutely have to, wash them by hand in a dishpan. I tried one once in a washing machine...this was years ago. The cloth unraveled all over the place.
Reply to
Doug Pratt
Last time the wife let you use HER machine, I'm sure ;-)
If/When I'm asked to do laundry I do such a miserable job that I'm banned from touching the machines. So far my strategy works. :-)
Doug Pratt wrote:
Reply to
Alex Mericas
Hand wash in a bucket of warm water. Add a couple of drops of dish detergent if you want. Don't be surprised if some of the dye in the cloth washes out. You can wash parachutes and tubular nylon the same way.
Dean
Reply to
Dean Roth
Washing the dainties in the sink? What kind of crap is that? You want those shields clean you get a sandblaster and do it a man's way. Or, you could send them over the falls allowing them to clean themselves on the rocks below.
Joel. phx
And you ain't seen mess unless you've had a diaper in the laundry.
Reply to
Joel Corwith
I have a dedicated washing machine just for rocket stuff.
No wonder I still have to do the kid's laundry! Quick, sell the spare on ebay! :)
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Some deleted Last time I used her machine and her dainties came out less white than
Hum, sounds like your wife and mine may be long-lost twins. ;-)
Mark Simpson
Trailers are for boats.
Reply to
Kurt Kesler
Ah, the ultimate irony. Here's a material which is flameproof and bulletproof, but can't hold up to machine washing.
Wasn't that a Jetson's episode once?
Doug
Reply to
Doug Sams
Kurt Tow a trailer with a boat??????????????:-)