Fin Configuration Cosmetic or Practical?

I'm wondering about the fin configuration on rockets like the Talon

is there any aerodynamic purpose to having larger fins further up, and smaller fins behind, or is it just for appearance? Seems like it would be more unstable, although it does make the rocket stand out a bit in a crowd, I suppose.

Reply to
Paul Wak

In a sounding rocket there is no need for the forward fins. No need for forward fins on a space booster either.

In a guided missile however, the forward fins give lift while the rear fins are moved with servos to navigate.

Missiles are really different from normal rockets in many ways, and usually need neutral stability instead of positive stability of a sounding rocket.

In hobby rockets like the Talon, the 'Missile Look' is the selling point.

Or was the missile holder a selling point ?

I'm confused ;-)

Reply to
AlMax

Just for looks. If you want efficiency, you want 3FNC.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer