Help me with a scale project? Delta II 7925

I'm researching a scale project. I've always loved the rockets with multiple external boosters and found that the Delta II 7925 was used to put MER A - Spirit - on Mars. Looking to make a large ModRoc to small Level 1 size model - about 1/36.

I found a lot of info at Boeing and NASA, but have been unable to find nice (even decent) artwork pictures for the scale markings. I also have some questions about getting the right sized tubes for the boosters. I have some ideas and sources, but would like to see what those who have been there and done that have.

So....

1) Anybody have links to MER A artwork and/or dimensions of the right Delta II? Yes, I've searched the web several hours and found _some_ of what I need.

2) How have you solved the problem of scale tubes? Once I pick the main body, I have a fixed scale and will need to make the boosters a dimension I probably cannot get commercially.

Stability and performance questions also arise, but those are probably answered by "just get RockSim".

Any help is appreciated.

BTW, the GEM-40 strap on boosters (this model had 9) have an average thrust of 499 kN for 63 seconds, making them 75% X motors. JIC you were wondering.

Reply to
Thomas Koszuta

Have you seen John Coker's Delta II project? I'm not sure if its of specific help to you, but might be worth a look:

Niall Oswald

I mistakenly skipped a letter in the spreadsheet - it is a 75% Y.

"Hello Aerotech? What is the price and delivery for a Y500,000? I'd like to get 9, with igniters."

Tom "Trouble with the Alphabet" Koszuta

Reply to
Thomas Koszuta

Under $1 per pound second.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

" I'm researching a scale project. I've always loved the rockets with multiple external boosters and found that the Delta II 7925 was used to put MER A - Spirit - on Mars. Looking to make a large ModRoc to small Level 1 size model - about 1/36....

2) How have you solved the problem of scale tubes? Once I pick the main body, I have a fixed scale and will need to make the boosters a dimension I probably cannot get commercially. "

Do you want *functional* boosters? Or just for appearance? You can "roll your own" out of heavy cardstock paper using a dowel form, you could even use solid dowels if you don't need them to function. Nosecones can be turned/whittled out of balsa or shaped out of something like Sculpy and baked.

Reply to
lektric.dan

Trailblazer

Astrobee 1500

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If you order a full case, there may be a discount.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Have you looked at the .pdf file plans mentioned here:

(Which after several clicks, will hopefully lead you to:
)

The Delta 7925 stuff is about halfway down the *long* page...

This is for a "home-made" (non-commercial tube) 18mm-motor model; but perhaps there is something here that is applicable to the monster you want to construct.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

You removed "Aerotech" from his post, so I guess you have a different vendor in mind. Who supplies motors that size, at the price you quoted?

Reply to
raydunakin

Thanks Greg,

I had the paper model link and was going to build it as my "hands-on" drawing, but I wasn't seriously thinking about flying it - until now.

I've built a paper Saturn IB. They are sturdier than you think and the "painting" can be near perfect because its all just printed out. They are inexpensive (how much ink do they use?), but stuff with a lot of tubes (SIB, Delta II) can get a little tiresome in the rolling.

Oh, well. The coolest looking ones are always more complex, I guess.

Reply to
Thomas Koszuta

get 9, with igniters."

...and if you label the boosters "Model Airplane Parts", you can save a BUNDLE on hazmat fees.

Reply to
Vince