How to install an ion-engine to my rocket ???

I think rockets based on carbon-based fuels are old-fashioned, so we need to build rockets with ion-engines.

What do I need ?

Reply to
Dan Simper

Well, to start with, you cannot fire an ion rocket in the presence of any atmosphere: it just won't work - so unless you have an experimental facility at the Space Station, the first requirement (before you can even test such an engine at all) is a vacuum pump that can suck your test chamber down to a radio-tube vacuum while swallowing the gas flow rate of the rocket exhaust. That turns out to require a really impressive pumping system...

Then there's the fact that (since the engine can only fire in a vacuum) you have to launch it from something that's already in orbit: so we still need rockets with chemical fuels to get up to orbit.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

First of all... you will need to get your ion engine into space... It won't work in Earths atmosphere... only the vacumn of space.

Reply to
Hippiestew

  1. The vacuum of space
  2. A mission tolerant of very low thrust for very long time
  3. A massively governmentally controlled power source
  4. Access to a launch vehicle with evil chemical propulsion to launch it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Probably a time machine.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Not *entirely* true, Jerry.

Ion engines will work fine with solar-cell power supplies... you just need a whole freakin' LOT of them to get the needed kilowatts. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Special dispensation, since the burn time will exceed 15 seconds, and low grvaity, cause it's low thrust. Now a mass driver on the other hand.......

Chuck

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

I would much rather try to design a magneticly launched rocket.

Reply to
Mike

Does it "burn"?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Do you mean like a coil-gun, but vertical?

Reply to
Niall Oswald

grvaity, cause it's low thrust. Now a mass driver on the other hand.......

Sure, just like AP "explodes".

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

Not sure if that would count as a rocket though? More like a gun that fires a projectile equipped with a recovery device.

The effects on on-board electronics could be 'interesting' too :-)

Acceleration would have to be very high too, so it would have to be a very strong projectile. It would have to be magnetic also....

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Well, a rocket is a projectile, I was thinking along the lines of a ring launcher, and the ring would be the launch lug, but developping the power output needed would be difficult

Reply to
Mike