I found this article in my local paper ...

I found this article in my local paper.
http://neighbors.newstimeslive.com/story.php?idr728
Let's hope that I brings some good PR to the hobby

picture caption.
...or flying over 2000 feet requires certification....
somewhere my mind remmbers that, but I cannot fathom where. an estes wizard can do 2200 feet
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

Misinformation.
from the caption: "High-powered rockets weighing more than one pound or capable of flying more than 2000 feet require certification from one of two national rocket organizations."
It's too bad that they can't get their facts even close to straight. There are so many errors in that one sentence, it is hard to count them all.
1. A rocket that weighs more than one pound is not necessarily high power, and a high power capable rocket does not necessarily weigh more than one pound. High power depends on the motor, not the rocket. 2. 2000 feet of altitude has nothing to do with high power. 3. 2000 feet of altitude has nothing to do with certification. 4. Rockets do not require certification, users do. 5. certification is confused with FAA regulations. 6. The FAA regulation is not even close to correct. 7. It doesn't matter to the FAA how high a rocket is "capable" of flying; what matters is how high will the rocket go with the motor you are actually going to use.
Ugh. Someone else want to take up the nit-picking?
-- David

David wrote:

It wouldn't be the first time that this paper screwed up the facts. Unfortunatly they are the only show in town, and the deep pockets of Ottoway publishing, so they can make sure that they stay that way. I don't subscribe to the rag, but I do go to the web site to get my local news.I just thought that the article would get more awareness of the hobby. Danbury is the next town north from Bethel CT, where Countdown Hobbies is.
David wrote:

Well....if we are getting out our little red teacher's pencils, and are going to "nitpick":

Well...to nitpick...the quote, no matter how full of errors...does not (logically) imply that this weight, nor this "capable" altitude; are strictly required to meet the definition of "high powered". It really just says that "if this here rocket, which by-the-way weighs this amount, and which will hopefully go this high...". Now, as you said, the accuracy of the entire quote in general is questionable.
:o)

--

Greg Heilers

You wouldn't have to nitpick with exemptions, not regulations.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Exemptions don't apply to prohibited persons or felons, such as yourself.

But it had record high density of errors.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

What record?