Lathe

Saw a 3 foot lathe with 14" deep work area for $129 today, new. Has 4 speeds adjusted via belt on different wheel sizes.
It looked perfect for tube sections and nosecone/boattail work... not to mention other hobbies...
Was advertised as a wood lathe "great for homemade furniture".
Large benchtop style, but would be easy to fit with legs...
Is this a good deal?
~ Duane Phillips.
I saw a couple of nice hobby lathes on www.micromark.com last night..
Jerome

I like the Item Number: 82565
but it is a smaller lathe than what I am asking about (6 inches diameter x 14-1/4 inches long vs. what I wrote below), and higher price, plus another $20 in shipping.
I can get the one I asked about locally.
Good reference none the less... found myself browsing the "candy store".
~ Duane Phillips.

That's not a bad price for a small sized 3 foot unit Duane. table legs, bats, tube sections etcc..
A smaller cheaper unit is on sale at Harbor Freight tools for $32.97
It's cheap in both ways and 11" for small wood parts. Going to pick one up today for grins, it's so cheap.

LOL. That is exactly where the lathe I refer to is! I saw the small one... if it is the one I am thinking of, I was not interested... too many small parts, and the motor housing is plastic... it might be good for chess pieces though... I need to be able to turn custom 5 to 7 inch nose cones (diameter). If you went there, then you know which one I am talking about.
They also had a *much* nicer one that looked solid and able to turn metal pieces... but very pricey...
~ Duane Phillips.

I looked at that unit you speak of at Harbor today. It's a good unit and has a sander on it as well.
One of our club members here local has one and turns big nose cones.
Art

I didn't see a sander on it... I know it said it could be fitted with one though... most lathes can do this trick.
Does it come with it??? That would be the topper indeed.
~ Duane Phillips.

the one at my harbor said 14" by 40" wood lathe, $129 with attached sander on the price tag. The sander was attached to the demo unit on the motor's other side.
I got the toy lathe to play with , just for grins. micro-maxx scale parts maybe all its good for. only 4" center to center and about 1.5 inches in diameter work area.
The lathe you want is nice, but no room left for me with the drill press, band saw and belt sander.
Art

I got the ~ $130-$140 lathe.....39" & 14" capacity a while ago & have successfully turned nose cones & transitions up to 4" with it. It does the job. It doesn't look as solid & sturdy as the $300.00 Delta or whatever that's at some Home Depots, though. If you're not bolting to a workbench, I'd mount it on a 3/4" plywood base & C-clamp to your work table. Also, I got a 4 or 5 piece set of turning tools (may have been from "Buck", as in Buck knife?) from Sears for ~$30 or $40, that are very nice. The set of tools I'd gotten from Harbor Freight were half the size.....I don't know if they were for a daintier lathe or what...or if it was just the okie-doke. Next Saturday, one of my club's is having a "lathe session", where some of experienced members will show lathe skills to the rest. I hope to pick up a few useful tips. -- Richard "would have been flying at Battle Park this weekend....damn" Hickok
I know what you mean about space, my shop is only about 25' x 7' so everything has to be real small (Dremel drill press and router table, for example). The Taig is small enough to just move under the workbench when not in use.
I bought the Taig miniature lathe for woodturning, the motor (sold separately) and some extra chucks from Lee Valley. Just over 9 in. between centers, which is fine for MR and some LMR nosecones
taig miniature lathe:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageC104&category=1,330,43103 [ http://tinyurl.com/3cwan ]
1/4 hp motor:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageC107&category=1,330,43103 [ http://tinyurl.com/2jhnj ]
- iz
ArtU wrote:

For the price, a 7x10 can be had for a tad more ($350 or so on sale). Then you can start making nozzles....
Joel. phx

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageC104&category=1,330,43103
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageC107&category=1,330,43103
in
I bought the bechtop Delta model that Sears carried about three years ago. The bed can be expanded out to 62" or something with the extender. Stock it run 32". It has multiple speeds, a very solid bed made of cast iron, a good tool rest and it will swing a 4" radius over the centers. The head cannot be reversed for bowls but dang, it's hell on wheels for making nosecones, tail sections, reducers and stuff.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

"ONLY" is a great word. No one has enough shop space. Mine is "ONLY about 20x40...
If I could ever get it all cleaned up at once, there is about 60 linear feet of workbench space. I'm hoping to have 50-60% of that usable for the NIRA building session in my basement on the 18th. The two old doors on file cabinets are hopelessly burried in junk.
Art, I have the Harbor Freight lathe with 7" sander attached. If you're patient, every now and then, they put it on sale for ~1/2 price. I picked up mine for ~$70 IIRC.
ArtU wrote:

duane: take alook at the wood lathes this company has: http://www.grizzly.com
2 @ $139 and 1 @ $149
shockie B)

It looks like Harbor has a $129 lathe on sale for $99.99 that appears to be virtually the same as the Grizzly one, except without the stand (available for $49.99 extra). HOWEVER, Harbor doesn't charge shipping on orders over $50.00, whereas Grizzly adds another $35.00 for shipping.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber6066
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/aboutus.taf?f=terms
On page above, scroll down to: $50.00 and over FREE shipping.
I thought Grizzly was a more respected lathe maker & here at least part of their offering is the exact same Chinese thing that Harbor's always getting bad-mouthed for selling. What gives? -- Richard "do the right thing" Hickok

Some of their metal lathes are identical, only with different paint colors and decals. They are made in the same Chinese shop. I bought a 12X36 metal lathe from HF and saved over $1,000 over the Grizzly price, for the SAME LATHE.
Mike Fisher Binder Design