NERRF and Ed Miller's J to J to K monocopter or........

.....how does one video tape an erratic beast like this?
http://homepage.mac.com/wesrudy/EdMillerJJKmono.mov
I thought I had it nailed for windage, but it fooled me yet again. I
did suffer damage so that may have affected the takeoff and flight profile.
Chuck
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:32:39 GMT, Chuck Rudy

Zoom out? Have your little helper tape it too so maybe between both of you, you get it all as you like it. I'm guessing - compared to me, you're an expert.

profile.
in looking at the video repeatedly, I noticed that the dammage seems to have happened at the very end. I think your main problem was a too short launch rod, which caused a portion of your engines trust to push the copter along a horizontal vector.
Also, You did a good thing by zoomming out at the last second, and being a bit back. when you look at the cameras used to track saturns (real ones, not models) you'll see they got HUGE lenses and are real far back.
I'd say much more testing is needed :) fly and fly and fly and fly and fly and fly and fly some more.
and post the videos
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You need to download quicktime.
probly need to upgrade to Windows Media Player 10.

ach! "*.mov" -- it is a quick time file. Maybe try the new QT7? It played fine here.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

One file is Quicktime 6, the other is Quicktime 7......they are bascially both the same, but most will have to upgrade QT to see the 7 file.....I'm still up in the air as to whether I like 7 or not
Chuck
On my new Mac G5, there is no comparing the, the 7 is much nicer looking.
-Rich
Chuck Rudy wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:31:47 -0400, Rich Pitzeruse

They both work great on my Mac G7 (aka Intel powered PC) 8-)
waow!
Did you have a bunker or was everyone wearing an helmet?
message de

profile.
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:32:39 GMT, Chuck Rudy

Sorry to hear about the damage, but that looked like a cool flight... :-) How about some more info - size of the thing, staging methods, etc.?
Eldred
Eldred Pickett wrote:

The monocopter belongs to the infamous ( I mean that in a good way ) Ed Miller from near Hershey PA. It boosted on a J 135, 4 second air start to a J 135, another 4 second air start to a K 185 using timers. What kind? I forgot to ask.
Since it did not take off vertically as it did in it's first launch two years ago, it appears the damage which broke it in half may have started early in the launch. A loss of torsional rigidity may have allowed the motors to move away from level (y axis) and push the mono away from it's normal flight path. It flew anything but level on most of it's flight making it appear the design had been compromised.
To see the first flight at NYPOWER X 2 years ago, go to http://homepage.mac.com/wesrudy/Menu8.html then click on "downloads" at the top, then look for "NYPOWER3Jmono.mov".
Chuck
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:16:41 GMT, Chuck Rudy

That's pretty cool... The last motor fired WAY late, didn't it?
Eldred
Eldred Pickett wrote:

Yes it was.....when he told me his sequence was Start, then +4 then +16 then parachute at +32 I figured there could be a little problem.....I was glad the last air start went off when it did, and as level as it did.
Though I did have a place to hide behind Ed's van. ;-)
Chuck
Someone asked me at the launch where it would go as it flew so they could film it. I sat thinking "9 feet long, J-J-K", and the only thing I could come up with was "wherever it darn well pleased"
.

Eldred Pickett wrote:

Oh and it's 9 feet long.
Chuck
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:17:04 GMT, Chuck Rudy

That's damn big...<whew>
Eldred