Nose mounted altimeters???

Hi all..
I've run out of internal space on one of my projects.....As a result it will be limited to single deployment. May be able to use dual but with no drogue
chute.....Just separated airframes??? I don't want to alter it's length if possible so I have to mount the altimeter and ejection canister etc. in the nose to separate the fin can & rear deploy chute..
Never done this before so if you could point me to some good links of a similar set up that'd be great!
Cheers, Clint.
My Yank Mystic Buzz. 3 inch kit. http://oberon.ark.com/~lkvend/rocket.html
I've since modified this nose cone to use a Dual Deploy Altimeter. I added small terminal blocks for the charges to the nose cone base. The vent hole goes though the nose cone shoulder and on thought the airframe about an inch from the edge. I also use a shear pin to make sure the holes stay correctly aligned.
My battery and altimeter are mounted to a thin board in the BT55 tube with a combination of foam and pipe insulation supporting it. It's a very small space with the hole directly aligned with the barosensor. An accelerometer based unit would need ridged support.
Layne Rossi

Have you had any problems with deployment? A friend of mine put her electronics bay close to the nosecone, and had the main parachute deploy while the motor was only halfway through its' burn. The only reason we could come up with for the failure was false triggering due to turbulence from the nosecone.

Use mach delay or an accelerometer with the main lock out before apogee.
I've only used this once with the altimeter. I flew it on an I287SS and I did use MACH delay.
Layne

Nice! Now I gotta pack it into a 2.15in.
I'll have some pics of what I end up with........ Put up when finished.
Thanks

Cant supply you any link, but my latest project has an altimeter within the space of the nosecone. For access to it, there are no hatches or external switches or anything like that, because the whole nosecone itself unscrews completely off its base, like the lid off a bottle. (the altimeter is mounted to the base, which stays on the rocket)
I have the same situation; I am using the burrito / tether solution to still get dual deployment. You can see it here: http://www.defyg.com/rapid.pdf
All you have to do is put the altimeter in the nosecone. To release the burrito, you can use a formal tether device, or you can use an ejection charge with a piece of fishing line running through it.
-- David

Is that along the same lines as the BlackSky ARRD2??? I've been looking at that for a no-split AF. Dual.
Take a nice chunk out of my budget..... :-)

Yes, except a lot cheaper. (but not as cheap as running a piece of fishing line through an ejection charge).
-- David

http://www.bobarnott.com/rocketry/rockets/electric/index.shtml
HTH
--