Official count of Hits to Flyrockets.com

Just finished running the first webstat reports. If you want to talk actual 'hits' (individual http requests for images and documents) to the web site, we had over 900,000 hits today. Wow. The real story is in the number of unique VISITS, though. 12,000 visitors to the site in the last 6 hours. Amazing. We had approx. 6000 'click-outs' to club sites and about 8000 to vendor sites. More info and pretty graphs later...

Greg Deputy

Reply to
Greg Deputy

Holy cow! That's great news!

Cool! I've already seen a small surge in hits to my site, and I'm not exactly a major vendor.

Reply to
RayDunakin

We had 24 unique hits on the NEPRA site. 7 the first hour, 10 the second hour and 7 more the third hour. No emails yet.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

That's just amazing. I visited site after I returned from watching the shows with the outstanding HillbillyRocketry group on a large screen. I had left the page up as I was catching some of the second run, later went to check my email and hit 'refresh' and you had an addition 3,000 hits in that short time.

The clickouts is just fantastic. We'll have to take a poll at the Dec launch to see how many new faces are due to the show!

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

On Saturday

had 2,000 hits. On Sunday
had 10,000 hits.

Cool!

-JT

Greg Deputy wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

How many requests for "favicon.ico" those would be IE users making bookmarks. (er favorites)

Dan Chandler Southern New England Association of Rocketry

Dan Chandler

We had 3,333 requests for that.

Reply to
Greg Deputy

very nice. If half of those attend a launch and spend $200 on stuff (pretty easy to do) that'll give us an average of about 30 newbies per state and bring in $300,000 to vendors. That alone isn't enough to "save rocketry" but when those guys (or girls) tell their friends, co-workers, family, etc.. we could get somewhere :-)

my 2 cents Dan Chandler Southern New England Association of Rocketry

Dan Chandler

Are you sure those numbers are correct? 90K/12K would imply an AVERAGE of 75 pages viewed per unique visitor. Even if everybody viewed the whole site, that strikes me as high...

Bob Kaplow

No.

Bob Kaplow

I had a handful of folks at work mention the show to me yesterday. So people do talk.

Bob Kaplow

You have an over optimistic opinion of "sell-through" figures.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That may be true. I have absolutely no facts to back up my numbers.

I figure there will be plenty of smaller sales, but once someone gets hooked into HPR, they're good for $500 easy. It would take 600 people at $500 each to hit that 300k number. Would those sales be realized in

03? Not a chance. But over the next year, I think it's very possible.

There will also be plenty of additional sales of Estes stuff due to the show and not flyrockets.com. I suspect as mom's and dad's are running through Wallyworld, Michaels crafts (and wherever else) buying x-mas gifts for the family, $20-50 starter sets are going to sell VERY well. I would be surprised if Estes doesn't see 30% better sales than last year.

Maybe we can get Estes and Quest to put a piece of paper in each kit with just: "

" . That would be very nice of them. It could expose their current customers to other options, but i think people that graduate from Estes stuff never abandon it completely.

Dan Chandler Southern New England Association of Rocketry

Dan Chandler

I would be surprised if they did that for a variety of reasons. But I think it is accurate to say HPR guys dramatically increase their estes purchases.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

this can certainly revitalize the hobby.

unfortunately more than a few vendors have already closed their doors, the next three months may see a real surge in business.

I hope they are watching and consider jumping back in. They are good men.

- iz

Dan Chandler wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

It is more likely on historical basis that this will CAUSE more vendors to close their doors, from a variety of issues.

Vendors spending to prep for a demand surge that never arrives.

Vendor receives demand surge and assumes it will continue and doesn't.

Vendor is so enthused he spends on promotion to try to keep it going and the promotion fails.

Every single thing I have posted to rmr in 10 years or so now has been to engourage association decisions and consumer decisions to make the environment for vendors more comfortable and lower risk. I think it is fair to say that at each and every inflection point the associations have done the precise opposite, and the louder of the posters and consumers have supported those bad decisions, often to serve an irrrational emotional need for revenge against perceived deeds by one particular vendor, none of which can be pointed to, or legally juistified.

Grasping at straws to hurt one guy, missing and killing the whole industry IS THE PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE INDUSTRY AT THIS TIME.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I agree that the attrition rate of these new people will be higher and faster than those who have searched out the hobby for themselves.

But some will stay, and the more we get, the more we keep.

Dan Chandler Southern New England Association of Rocketry

Dan Chandler

Yup, they're accurate. I'm not talking about page hits, but http requests, which includes images. There are a lot of images on the pages, with the navigation elements.

See the webstat reports at

for all kinds of fun stuff like most common paths through site, etc...

Greg Deputy

Yup, its there. Note the mispelling flyrocketswebSTstats If you type it in by hand you're likely to forget that. Typo on my part that I didnt fix when i set up the report job...

Greg Deputy

I know you did that on purpose, just to keep it extra secure! :-)

Looks like it tapered off quickly Tuesday and Wednesday. Well see what it does with the rerun tonight.

Bob Kaplow