Old mobile (cell) phones

What phones with cameras, GPS, etc being common, and with many also being able to run downloaded java apps, has anyone looked at writing code to turn the phones into combination flight computers and telemetry/video payloads?

Reply to
matt vk3zmw

Sparkfun.com sells GPS modules and a GSM Cell phone modules. Cost for the pair, about $200. Add a few components, and it would be 'trivial' to make a device that calls you with the location of your rocket after the flight.

-- Greg

Greg Clark

Sure, there are all sorts of great ready-made products out there, but I was looking at it from the point of view of "Hmmm, I have several superseded late model phones lying around and I really need a cool payload for this rocket and I haven't got bucket-loads of cash. What can I do..."

Reply to
matt vk3zmw

Hi,

I've been looking into doing something similar, but have had no luck so far finding a java app to do this. However there are a couple of programs available for Symbian based smartphones such as the Nokia

3650;

BlueSky GPS -

GPSXC -

I have been using BlueSky with an old Nokia 3650 with reasonable success. The program does a good job of logging the NMEA 0183 data from a bluetooth gps to the phones MMC card and is also able to send co-ordinates via SMS. I have experienced an issue with the SMS sending part, which is currently being looked at by the developer (SMS sending stopped after ~4 mesages). I made a flight at the weekend with this setup in a Loc Hi-Tech 45 on a Pro38 H143SS. The rocket launched to around 2000ft and maintained a GPS lock throughout the flight. I was able to call the phone once it had landed, but did not receive any SMS due to the bug in the software (I have verified that this is a bug in the software by trying the software in my car).

Regards,

Rob House

matt vk3zmw wrote:

Reply to
Rob House

BG Micro has cell phone modems originally intended for the Palm V. They have a modem transciever modem module inside, attached to Plm interface circuitry. 19.2K speed, AT command set, tcp/ip, udp, ppp, and slip capable. Li ion battery. At $8 it's worth playing with. Part number COM1162,

, page 20 of current catalog.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang