multi camera setup for rocket launches

sigh, this will take a bit to explain

I am getting tired of being stuck behind a camcorder on launch day, and have thought about ways to solve that.....

In model rocketry, you only get one take for the first (and maybe last/only) flight of a model rocket. wandering autofocus, poor tracking of subject, or a dozen other little things can make your shot useless.

after looking on the internet, I found

that mentioned part of how to solve this, for under $6000.

way to much money for capture a $100 rocket flight.

so I looked at doing my own setup on paper, just to see how low I could go......

First I want 4 cameras to match the 4 standard shots you usually see (wide, close-up,mid, tracking) and I want the raw footage to edit for the shots. since the cameras do not need to be manned (except the tracking), I can stick tripods on them and let them record a whole days worth of events (approx 4 hours)

ok, so I looked on eBay for cameras that could be used, or close to it. $10 apiece about, plus shipping.

4 VCR decks from Kmart at about $50 each (maybe eBay for less)

one used 13" color TV for $free! ($70 new) to make sure the cameras are hooked up right and actually recording

a simple video switch to keep from yanking cords from the TV, $10

and a Power inverted to run it all. I went to a website to calculate wattage needed plus some other things, plus 10% for upgrades. came to 6-800 watt power inverter, or 2 400watt inverters at $50 each. (actually got a 400w on eBay for $25)

so I have a system for less than $500 that will take a 4 hour long event, give me continuous footage from 4 different angles, hopefully all in focus, hopefully able to catch all events (at least in the wide shot), and hopefully with only one person need to run things once the equipment is set up.

comments?

Reply to
Tater Schuld

Tater Schuld wrote: ...

$10 cameras?! What's the picture quality like?

Reply to
mp__

old VHS camcorders. palmcorders, and the high tech cameras of past years. you can find some "as-is" ones that have the tape deck shot but still work thru the av out cables.

for a new option, you can get spy cams for about $20. no idea what quality on those would be lke

Reply to
Tater Schuld

Stay away from those super cheap ebay spycams from China. Technically they are 1.2 ghz and require a license and the quality is crap. Yup, I was a sucker.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

umm this aint a wireless setup.....

but yeah. i only search for stuff saleable in north america. usually find the same stuff but with much lower shipping

Reply to
Tater Schuld

Hi Ted,

Most actually they transmit on 1.04-1.18 and no license will be legal to use them in the USA.

That said, compusa, all sorts of US dealers , geekssites etc,. all sell them at various markups unknowingly.

If it has a tuning knob, stay away from it !

I have a rebate program for those who have bought these cams.

go to the BoosterWorks.com shopping cart and do the contact page and say you would like to trade up discount.

send in your ebay cam and get 21% off a 2.4ghz Mini GearCam

Art Upton BoosterVision.com

Reply to
ArtU

Art, your a class act. I just might take you up on that offer. But I'd probably wouldn't be able to do it until the spring time. Just started work again(yay!) after a 4 week hiatus. Need to eliminate some debt first. Thanx for proving my point that rocket peoples are the best peoples.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

as soon as I am off the unemployed list i'll be hunting you down :)

Yeah, i got suckers on those cams. was a learning experience.

Reply to
Tater Schuld