multi camera setup for rocket launches - update

just had a camcorder delivered from Ebay for $20. seller thought unit would not work.

hooked it up and got it to show a picture thru the AV cables to the TV, running off the charger/ac power supply. picture quality is lousy but i did not fiddle a lot with the controls.

came in a metal padded case that is probably worth the price alone.

also came with a proprietary video title dohickey that i already got on ebay, maybe I'll get my money back?

should be getting the wired mini spycam next week. see if it has better color thatn the 1970's camcorder.

that will make a total of 3 cameras, including a junky (but working) camcorder i already own. got the inverter last week, the TV for monitor use is sitting at another members house anlong with a 4th dead camcorder(but good enough to record).

now to pick up a 4 way AV switch (ebay again) and i should be in luck. might have some video to work with this spring......

Reply to
Tater Schuld

even better yet, the minicam cam today.

such a dinky little cheap thing gave me some doubts, but I was sorta of surprised.

BTW the auction is at

the camera is small, the case is metal not plastic, and the picture quality was better than i expected. the camcorder listed below has quite a bit of color washout, and this mini cam doesnt.

power supply is 6-12volts, so I can set up a link off the 12v system rather than blowing 9 volts every launch.

i'll have to set up some video from both the old camcorder and the minicam, and put side by side comparisions on the net.

I noticed some resolution issues, but i cannot recall if they were worse than the camcorders.

further testing will determine wether i get 3 more.

Reply to
Tater Schuld

Very Cool!!! Ya gotta love the price, too. Makes me wanna see if one could be adapted w/ a transmitter for onboard use. Good luck with your project, and be sure to post results when you're done.]:>{

Reply to
bob352

yeah, considering $20 is throwaway money justabout. glad I got the older cam tho. for just the case.

Reply to
Tater Schuld

jst did a bit more teting and have some issues.

seems that the minicam does not like fluoroescent lights, nor noisy computer systems. did a video capture using a usb belkin unit, and got unacceptable noise. noise was not present when i attached unit to TV, so I assume that it could be a number of things (weak battery, shoddy cables, shoddy computer) also a bit of white has on the picture, same source?

did the same thing to the camcorder, and everything looked fine, with poor color rendition.

might need to rig up some 12V power to the camera, get some shielded cables and try again.

still looks promising enough to get another three of them. imagine the video I could get by sticking one behind a 1/4 inch glass at the blast deflector!

Reply to
Tater Schuld

Tater- Try the cables first. I used to experiment with recording off the TV, and you'd be surprised how many times the RCA jacks are the culprit. Often, cheaper ones come with poor-quality insulators, and that can be a common allowance of mechanical 'noise'. As a plus, it's also the cheapest place to start. Good luck, keep us posted! Bob 352

Reply to
bob352