RC simulator

Does anyone know of R/C flight simulators for mac's?

Reply to
Kevin

Hi Kevin

Maybe this will do?:

FlightGear is an open-source, multi-platform flight simulator:

Atlas - The FlightGear mapping utility:
Flight Club - an online glider simulator:

-

Mac OS X: RC Helicopter Simulator:

-

(Only DOS & Windows): Flying-Model-Simulator:

Glenn Møller-Holst

Glenn, thanks for the help...I will give these a shot

-KB

Reply to
Kevin

There's another way around it.....there's a program from Microsoft called Virtual PC 2004 for Mac. You can create a virtual windows xp machine on your mac and run whatever you want. The drawback is that you'll need to come up with a windows xp cd......

here's a link to the M$ site:

-Ryan

Reply to
bradyrj

| Kevin wrote: | > Does anyone know of R/C flight simulators for mac's? | | There's another way around it.....there's a program from Microsoft | called Virtual PC 2004 for Mac. You can create a virtual windows xp | machine on your mac and run whatever you want. The drawback is that | you'll need to come up with a windows xp cd......

Of course, you forgot the other drawback, in that the x86 instruction set is being completely emulated -- which means it'll be very slow. A factor of 50 slowdown would not surprise me.

Even vmware isn't quite that slow -- at least in that case, it's x86 on x86, so the low level instructions don't need to be emulated. And yet vmware is still known for being slow ...

With Virtual PC, it'll be far slower. Probably too slow to run any of the x86 flight simulators, even on the fastest Mac.

The new x86 Macs will probably get something more like vmware than Virtual PC eventually, which will be far faster, but that's some time in the future.

Ultimately, you could probably find a used PC with enough horsepower to run RFG2 or something comparable reasonably well for less than the cost of Virtual PC ($220 and up, if you get Windows XP Home with it.)

| here's a link to the M$ site: |

Doug McLaren

While virtual pc is generally a great program for those who need to run a windows app on their Mac, I have great doubts about its suitability for running rc simulators.

Simulators demand a high level of graphics capability and a good cpu performance - of course Macs have this in spades, but when using virtual pc etc they first have to emulate windows, and then run the simulator.

I strongly suspect that even the fastest Macs may not be able to do justice to simulators like G2 or G3 by way of windows emulation apps.

I haven't used virtual pc for a few years now, but when I did I noticed that their was a real slowdown in the windows data base app that I was testing, compared at that time with a 200 mhz intel (using a Mac LCII to run virtual pc)

So, despite being a devoted Mac user, when I wanted to buy and run G2 I had to buy myself a Windows crap box (painful because I would much rather have bought a nice new Mac) And of course I wouldn't dream of using the windows box for anything important, so only use it for G2 and video editing.

So, I would suggest that you test out the combination of Mac and virtual pc running the simulator before laying out any $$$

David

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

It's not so much the emulation slow down, more the fact that Virtual PC does not support 3D graphics cards in any way. With a nice 3D card driver using the builtin 3D capable chip in the Mac performance wouldn't be that bad. But the Virtual PC people even write on their pages somewhere that they have no interest in supporting 3D hardware.

Reply to
Peter Stegemann

Try this one:

Still under development so has some bugs that freeze or crash the program occasionally, but still a good start, and useable. Power and gliders, field and slope soaring. I use the mouse buttons for throttle, and touchpad (on my Mac PowerBook G4) for stick. There's some info on adapting a transmitter for input using the audio jack, but I haven't really considered that yet.

For powered flight, the Quickie is the easiest to fly, and the biplane is a &^%&^#%^*&^%&^(&#(*&%%@&^#%&$!!!!

Reply to
Joe Ellis