Operation Crossbow & rocket trivia

How many unsuccessful attempts were there and what fraction of the Sputnik weight was the first successful American satellite?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Carr

we routinely violated USSR air space from 1946-1962 until the Francis Gary Powers U2 overflight got shot down... We lost scores if not hundreds of military with these overflights into soviet territory..

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

...Just a little more time....

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

this was the infamous Sanger-Bredt orbital bomber..

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

That ought to be 1946-present. Did you forget satellites and the SR71?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

How many unsuccessful US attempts before Sputnik I? None. The first US attempt to orbit a satellite, Vanguard TV-3, where the booster rises a few feet and falls back on the pad with the payload nose falling off, came two months after Sputnik I.

How many unsuccessful Soviet attempts before Sputnik I? Who knows?

About a sixth.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Yes we did, and we denied we were doing it.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Try sci.space.history. Someone there will know.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

Oh, I doubt that anyone in a position to actually know of possible Soviet failures prior to Sputnik I is eager to talk about them.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

You're right, of course. I sit corrected (I guess I was thinking 20th century and forward).

David Erbas-White

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

That's pretty funny. So you think we stopped overflying when Powers got shot down?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Only the U2 fly-overs stopped. SR71s took over later. we also had corona.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

NUH NUH NUH NINE CORONAS!

Um, what were we talking about?

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Man, I sure could go for a Corona now. Hold the fruit.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Right, as I slither off the stage as the weakest link...

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Remember the Alamo!

If we want to talk terrorists (as they are the current enemy), what about OK City? Then there's the Atlanta Olympics.....

Reply to
AZ Woody