SRB Question

Anybody know offhand what the propellant weight of one of the Space Shuttle's SRB's would be?

Yeah, yeah, I know I could google, but I''m supposed to be thinking about SQL triggers right now...

Reason I ask is that I have a demo launch tomorrow, and I'd like to explain just how many E18's that would be contained in an SRB to the class...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt
1,100,000 pounds according to a NASA website.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Personally I would advise you focus on your triggers as they are likely related to sign-on/credit card customer billing issues and we don't want to screw those up ... so get back to work and focus!

Hell I would explain SQL triggers designed to update records due to the fact that most of the class will most likely be employed as IT workers instead of Space Shuttle Booster manufactures ... Space Shuttle will be decommissioned in the next couple of years so why bother?

Here is the google answer for the question you originally proposed:

They produce about 3.1 million pounds (13.8 million newtons) thrust each for the first few seconds after ignition, before gradually declining for the remainder of a two-minute burn.

I leave it up to you to do the division AFTER you have successfully scripted and debuged you SQL code.

Just remember the burn rate is non-linear so unless you are up on your differential equations or have a program to "do-the-math" division will be in the "ball park" but a couple of orders of magnitude off.

Hope this helps :) Now I have to get back to SSO, DB2 backend, and DFS space issues that I am working on ... ah the power of cheese.

Reply to
Word of Reason

Thanks WOR, but Joe gave me what I was looking for. I was primarily concerned with weight, rather than performance... they're only 5th. graders ya know...

20.7 grams into 1.1 million pounds would mean that it'd take around a mere 28.7 million E18 grains to equal the SRB.

/Vader

Impressive!

Vader/

Just throwin' some numbers out...

Actually, related to an EDI system I wrote. I'm actually a multivalued kinda guy...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Hope that SQL scripting/debugging is going along smoothly ... anyways, the scape and paste may not have worked as I am playing around with Cygnus and Exceed ... trying to get these damn things to emulate my terminals correctly ... here is your info again googled:

The two solid rocket boosters are each 149.1 feet (45.4 meters) high and 12.2 feet (3.7 meters) in diameter. Each weighs 1,300,000 pounds (589,670 kilograms). Their solid propellant consists of a mixture of Aluminum powder, Ammonium Perchlorate powder, and a dash of Iron Oxide catalyst, held together with a polymer binder. They produce about 3.1 million pounds (13.8 million newtons) thrust each for the first few seconds after ignition, before gradually declining for the remainder of a two-minute burn. Tog ether with the three main engines on the orbiter, this provides a total thrust of over 7.3 million pounds (32.5 million newtons) at liftoff.

So this you could do the division and get propellant ratios within an order of magnitude :)

Reply to
Word of Reason

I figured the SRB to be about 1,422,000,000 newton sec, or a 6Z (ZZZZZZ) motor.

Paul

Reply to
Elfes

I think your math is a few orders of magnitude off.

Each SRB is 1.43B Ns and 1.1M pounds. That is 2^27 times a C engine, which would be about an AE or AF.

So, each SRB would be about 35.8 million E18 motors by power or 24.1 million E18 motors by weight.

Reply to
David

Just a few orders of magnitude, with a couple of "head calculations"... I said 28.7 million, and yes, I was looking specifically at weight.

I'll trim those calcs up before the launch tomorrow..

Still, a rather impressive number..

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

IRC we calculated that one SRB is a class AE motor (5 steps past Z). So the power difference is on the order of 2^26:1, or 67 million times bigger.

Bob Kaplow

SRBs have higher ISP than what we use, so it would be even more than that. My 67 million number was based on the full AE class motor, which the SRB isn't. I don't recall the exact NS value, but I'd put it in the 30-40 million to one range.

Bob Kaplow

So the difference between 1,422,000,000 newton sec and 1.43B Ns is a few orders of magnitude? You may look into some remedial math classes.

Paul

Reply to
Elfes

No, that's not where the disparity was.

It's an AE class motor, many, many orders of magnitude less than a ZZZZZZ.

Or maybe, by 6Z, you meant 5 doublings past a Z? Which is the same as AE, and makes more sense.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

If we're using ASCII, after Z comes [, \, ], ^, _, and `.

That would make the SRBs _ engines?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

No, it's EBCDIC, so that makes them ¬ engines :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Ah, now I see. Pardon, It didn't occur to me that anyone would would read "6Z" as "six times a Z" rather that six doublings of past Z (or AE).

Paul

Reply to
Elfes