My LEUP Nightmare

Has any of you had an problems getting your approval as of lately ?
Here is a quick overview of my nightmare of working with the BATFE.
1. Got approval from the fire chief to store my approved magazine in a
barn and paid the $75 fee.
2. BATFE bitch came out and inspected my magazine and storage and said
everything was fine and I should have my permit shortly.
3. Got a call a few weeks later saying that they couldn't approve my
permit because of a sparking device was located near the magazine. The
sparking device is a riding lawnmower.
4. I told the local BATFE bitch that many people have magazines in
attached garages next to automobiles.
5. BATFE bitch said to write to letter for varience request.
6. Letter was forwarded to headquaters
7. Got letter back saying my request was rejected based on the
sparking device.
8. Spoke to BATFE bitch and asked why a car is OK and why a riding
lawnmower isn't. Maybe is sparks more was her response, what the
%&*())__*&$$# !!!
9. Spoke to another BATFE agaent out of another office and he thought
her judgement was weak.
10 The only alternative I have is to build a seperate building to store
the magazine. I asked her what would be acceptable and what is a
building the the BATFE eyes. Is a modified dog house OK ? I have one
on the property that is not finsihed as of yet. Iasked if a Rubbermaid
storage shed was OK, well I need to check was her answer. The bitch
has to check everything with headquaters.
Do any of you have any good ideas ??
Thanks,
JJ
BATFE Hater
Reply to
jj
Step one would be to stop referring to her as a b**ch. If these emails come back to her and are traced to you (the information seems pretty straightforward as to who you are if she cares to look), you can bet you'll never get one.
While these may be your true feelings, it won't help you get the LEUP...
David Erbas-White
Reply to
David Erbas-White
I'll second that. At one point as I was discussing the absurdity of some position the ATF was taking, my local inspector asked "do you WANT this permit?". Message received. After that we ended up working out most of our differences. You have to pick your battles.
If things get really absurd regarding arbitrary requirements the ATF is putting on you, you can always contact your Senator and/or Representative and ask for help obtaining a permit. They're not going to do more than lip service regarding changing the laws, but they do have staff to help you navigate existing laws.
Reply to
Alex Mericas
VERY true--you can't fight beaurocracy, you simply have to conform...to an extent. While they won't make an ultimate decision solely based on your attitude, your attitude could porportionately reflect the number of hoops you'll have to jump through. Here's a good rule of thumb: if you can't dazzle them with intellect, baffle them with bullshit. ;)
Reply to
bob352
Yes. Call ATF in DC and complain. I've done it. It helped.
No problems with my initial application. Sounds like the person that came for my renewal was the same one you have.
My mag is in attached garage with riding lawmower.
Reply to
Phil Stein
Can You store the lawnmower in a different shed?
Since the BATFE already approved the barn, except for the lawnmower, it might be the easiest way to go. How big is Your mower?
Reply to
Dave Grayvis
If you want to have a "Who is more obnoxious?" contest, I'm sure the BATFE could certainly pull their own weight.
In the end, Your far better off being friendly with the BATFE, than being combative.
Reply to
Dave Grayvis
Not as funny as you not being able to get a LEUP under the same conditions. If you have any sense, you'll concentrate on the message & not the typos.
Reply to
Phil Stein
Ask them if there was an acceptable modification to the shed or magazine. I.e. build a firewall around the magazine (a couple of layers of drywall perhaps). If the shed is big enough, a "room" within the shed may satisfy them. And remember, a "room" doesn't have to be big enough for YOU to fit into, just big enough for the magazine.
They may be concerned about a RUNNING lawn mower. Do you drive the mower into the shed? Discuss their concerns with them and try to find out if there is a compromise you can both agree to. Then get it in writing.
Reply to
Alex Mericas
No they said it was a spark producing device. But I guess a hammer in the shed when it hits a piece of metal is a spark producing device. The problem is that this is not my property some making a mod on the shed may not be an option.
Reply to
jj
Precisely the reason I hope we get relief with the lawsuit. I believe there shouldn't be any issues of anyone storing APCP in small amounts. I would like to be able to keep a few L1-L2 type engines around so I can have them when I travel to an appropriate launch site that has the appropriate waivers for flying.
I'll say it again. I find it stupid one could legally load up their house with a pile of BP and APCP engines of a smaller size to equal the force of some larger motors but yet have to go through a bunch of red tape just to keep a few H through M motors. Doesn't make sense. Besides, due to the costs of the larger motors, I would only have the means to keep a few on hand. What is the problem with that?
It is a lot less work to legally possess a firearm and one can do a heck of a lot more damage to other humans with that than model rocketry.
How many people get murdered everyday in the U.S. ?
How many people get killed at rocket launches?
Kurt Savegnago
Reply to
Kurt
I did call to complain. The cheif paper pusher is out until 9/05 and the acting paper pusher will not respond to any written complaints.
JJ
Reply to
jj

Site Timeline