Team America in Space?

What a predicament! Only an astronaut can save us!
This kind of journalism (following) really irks me. No facts, no data,
just hyperbole from a "celebrity". Is this the only reason Bush wants
us to maintain our space presence?
Headlines from Yahoo this morning:
"Environmental damage on Earth seen from shuttle"
Commander Eileen Collins said astronauts on shuttle Discovery had seen
widespread environmental destruction on Earth and warned on Thursday
that greater care was needed to protect natural resources.
"Sometimes you can see how there is erosion, and you can see how there
is deforestation. It's very widespread in some parts of the world,"
Collins said in a conversation from space with Japanese officials in
Tokyo, including Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.
"We would like to see, from the astronauts' point of view, people take
good care of the Earth and replace the resources that have been used,"
said Collins, who was standing with Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi
in front of a Japanese flag and holding a colorful fan.
Collins, flying her fourth shuttle mission, said the view from space
made clear that Earth's atmosphere must be protected, too.
"The atmosphere almost looks like an eggshell on an egg, it's so very
thin," she said. "We know that we don't have much air, we need to
protect what we have."
We don't have much air? WTF?!?!
Next I'm sure we'll hear how the astronauts saw the oceans in dire
trouble. "We could see the oceans crying out, as if to say "please
keep our creatures alive and in your hearts."
sorry for the rant, going to get a cup of coffee now.
steve
Reply to
default
Deforestation? Erosion? It simply amazes me how able she is to determine the decimation of our planet and it's natural resources on her FIRST trip into space.
Reply to
bob352
So extremely incorrect.
Anyone (other than me) actually see the video of this?
Her statements are basically correct. Do not read more into it than was therre. She never said we were using up our air. She commented on how it's a thin layer when viewed from orbit. She also commented on how you could see the effects of erosion and other human activity from orbit.
Remember the photos of September 11 NYC from orbit?
-Fred Shecter
Reply to
shreadvector

Site Timeline