Phantom 4000 dilemma

So, I found an original NCR Phantom 4000 set (with pad and controller) in a dark and dusty corner of a hobby shop. They cater to RC dune buggy guys and some aircraft stuff, but have very little rocket stuff. The dilemma is that the box has a faded old price tag of $170 and it has obviously been opened and taped back up before. I doubt the guy running the shop knows the eBay potential of such an item, but I'm more interested in having it for nostalgic value. If it were you, would you pay the full price or try to talk the guy down "to take it off his inventory"...

Reply to
Scott Aleckson

You can always ask. If it's been sitting around so long that the price tag is faded, he may be glad to turn it over for a reduced price instead of holding out for $170 someday - especially on an item that's out of the general line of interest of his usual customers.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

SCORE! I'd gotten mine for $70 in my local hobby shop about two years ago. The pad was crap, but the controller and rocket were awesome.

I'd say he'd likely want to get rid of it, so ask him if you can negotiate the price with him.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Toft

Me? I'd try to talk the guy down if it was a brand new, 2005 edition Dr. Rocket commemorative motor case. But seriously, I think I'd ask for a discount just because it's been opened. In fact, I'd want a peek inside to check for all the peices.

steve

Reply to
default

You guys are paying way too much for that NCR stuff with the off spec tubes. I just cloned the Phantom 4000 rocket with a 38mm mount as a special order for one of my customers. Thicker fins, thicker walled tubing, correctly sized tubes, no cheap plastic centering rings, or cheezy plastic motor retaining clip that breaks easily..

My first mid power kit was an NCR Eliminator. Overpriced junk.

Mike Fisher Binder Design

Reply to
Mfreptiles

ROFL. I see you "understand" NCR product just fine :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Old NCR or NCR by Estes? The former is certainly more valuable.

The Estes pad is junk, but the controller is OK. The couple I got were Hobby Lobby half price and then HL closeout. But I don't recall them ever being $170, even retail.

Bob Kaplow

So why such nostalgia for the brand?

(I did once obtain and fire a couple of the F composite NCR/Estes motors... _they_ were rather nice, I must say.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

That's because they were essentially Vulcan motors.

You know the ones TRA/Rogers/Kelly vilified so much.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So you weren't their only target? What was their fuss about with respect to Vulcan?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Estes/Vulcan having heard AT was shipping RMS all over the place with no DOT approvals took it upon themselves to perform an "internal test" on "reloads" and submitted that video to the NFPA sport rocket caucus (the good old boy committee central supreme) on which it sits and who allegedly oversees manufacturer abuses. No action was taken against AT for actual abuses.

But the same committee falsified charges of motor relabeling that never occured against USR (at least that is the rumor 10 years later) (at the time no such formal charges were braought. The motors were mysteriously decertified with no notice or cause stated).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I found an NCR/Estes X-Wing at a Hobby Town last year. It was also dusty and the price tag was fading. With a little talking I got it for $40. It had never been opened.

So it never hurts to try and talk the price down.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

It was NCR by Estes. With the flavor of replies, I think I'll start the haggling at about 50 bucks. -Scott

Reply to
Scott Aleckson

More to the point, the box that was claimed to be reloads was propellant shavings laced with BP. It burned real good. I'd like to see a similar test done with Estes propellant in the same particle size distribution.

Bob Kaplow