Waste oil burning stoves

I was an old subscriber to the MEN (mother earth news) back when the rag first started. This is where I learned about savonious rotors, digesters and a whole bunch of alternate energy stuff. Well, I moved to Florida back in 1980, and really didn't need all that then, but now I live in Arkansas and let me tell ya...it's a bit colder here. Well, still being into the alternate energy stuff, I got tired of cutting the tree, chopping the tree, splitting the logs, carrying the logs, stacking the logs, carting in the logs, burning the logs, and emptying the stove. Not to mention having to sit around in yer jockey shorts and having a boiling pan of water on the stove because you can't regulate the heat output worth a hoot without alot of expense and besides...cleaning the chimney isn't all that much fun either. Well... along came the idea of making the waste oil burning stove. Since I was already making my wood stoves out of old hot water heaters, I had a source for them. I downloaded that brief article from the old MEN article and built my version of that stove. Let me tell ya, I'm STILL sitting around in my jocky shorts cause it gets so hot, but have learned a few things from it as well. First, that burner design lends itself to oil being splashed out into the sand bed and it clogs up the holes in the burner. It doesn't go too long before you have to rip it apart and clean it up to get it working again. The longer you let it go, the more fuel it uses and smokes like the dickens. Well, I looked for other designs without much luck. I saw a few variations on the subject, (like Bruce from Canada's and others) but for the most part found lots of professionally made devices for sale, but the price tag was way above what I wanted to spend. I'm kind of a cheapskake when it comes to this stuff. I figure if I can't build it out of bailing wire and bubble gum wrappers, it ain't worth building. I have done a small windplant using a servomotor, but the wind quality around here is the reason my sailboat is still in Florida. But I still like to tinker with it. Seems that when you need the heat the most in the winter is when the wind starts to howl... (Imagine that) So now, when it howls, I put the output across some heating coils with a little muffin fan blowing the hot air out. Anyway, back to oil...I came up with a much better design on that burner, but the only downside to it is that it needs forced air. Do you want to know how many GM cars that are in my local junk yard without the heater motors in them now? (Heh heh) They work perfectly!!! This design starts up without smoking, and runs without smoking, and burns extremely hot. The original intent of just sipping oil has been kept foremost in my design also. I get my oil at the local jiffy lube for next to nothing, and with this design, am burning some old peanut oil in it too! Smells so good you want to keep the door open. Bottom line is to see if anyone is interested in pictures or a write up on the burner or the water heat exchanger stove I built to heat my pool water. If you built one of those original MEN design stoves, this will help you. You can reach me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com or.. i'll be watching this board. Thanx... rj

Reply to
rjd

I have heard that used engine oil is considered toxic and can cause cancer. Which leads me to ask the question: How safe is burning used engine oil. Do the cancer causing agents get burned up or just spread around by the smoke? chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

As far as I can tell from some stuff related to waste oil that came up in passing when I was looking for wood furnace information, Vermont, at least, has considerable regulations related to burning waste oil (from the state Air Quality folks). Other states and localities may have similar rules; since I was not looking at doing that I did not investigate very closely, but I think it included such "not affordable at home" things as testing the waste oil for various contaminants. They have most of their regulations up on the web.

Barring other technologies (scrubbers, etc) not likely to show up on a home-scale or home-built furnace, most contaminants will be heading up the stack.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Any photos or info - sounds interesting G

Reply to
geoff m

I have a water heater tank in the shop with a copy of the MEN article laying atop it, awaiting my attention. I'd love to see details of your improved version.

Post here or add me to your list.

burkheimer at earthlink dot net

On 11 Oct 2004 10:18:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (rjd) wrote:

||I was an old subscriber to the MEN (mother earth news) back when the ||rag first started. This is where I learned about savonious rotors, ||digesters and a whole bunch of alternate energy stuff. Well, I moved ||to Florida back in 1980, and really didn't need all that then, but now ||I live in Arkansas and let me tell ya...it's a bit colder here. Well, ||still being into the alternate energy stuff, I got tired of cutting ||the tree, chopping the tree, splitting the logs, carrying the logs, ||stacking the logs, carting in the logs, burning the logs, and emptying ||the stove. Not to mention having to sit around in yer jockey shorts ||and having a boiling pan of water on the stove because you can't ||regulate the heat output worth a hoot without alot of expense and ||besides...cleaning the chimney isn't all that much fun either. ||Well... along came the idea of making the waste oil burning stove. ||Since I was already making my wood stoves out of old hot water ||heaters, I had a source for them. I downloaded that brief article ||from the old MEN article and built my version of that stove. Let me ||tell ya, I'm STILL sitting around in my jocky shorts cause it gets so ||hot, but have learned a few things from it as well. First, that ||burner design lends itself to oil being splashed out into the sand bed ||and it clogs up the holes in the burner. It doesn't go too long before ||you have to rip it apart and clean it up to get it working again. The ||longer you let it go, the more fuel it uses and smokes like the ||dickens. Well, I looked for other designs without much luck. I saw a ||few variations on the subject, (like Bruce from Canada's and others) ||but for the most part found lots of professionally made devices for ||sale, but the price tag was way above what I wanted to spend. I'm ||kind of a cheapskake when it comes to this stuff. I figure if I can't ||build it out of bailing wire and bubble gum wrappers, it ain't worth ||building. I have done a small windplant using a servomotor, but the ||wind quality around here is the reason my sailboat is still in ||Florida. But I still like to tinker with it. Seems that when you ||need the heat the most in the winter is when the wind starts to ||howl... (Imagine that) So now, when it howls, I put the output across ||some heating coils with a little muffin fan blowing the hot air out. ||Anyway, back to oil...I came up with a much better design on that ||burner, but the only downside to it is that it needs forced air. Do ||you want to know how many GM cars that are in my local junk yard ||without the heater motors in them now? (Heh heh) They work ||perfectly!!! This design starts up without smoking, and runs without ||smoking, and burns extremely hot. The original intent of just sipping ||oil has been kept foremost in my design also. I get my oil at the ||local jiffy lube for next to nothing, and with this design, am burning ||some old peanut oil in it too! Smells so good you want to keep the ||door open. ||Bottom line is to see if anyone is interested in pictures or a write ||up on the burner or the water heat exchanger stove I built to heat my ||pool water. If you built one of those original MEN design stoves, this ||will help you. You can reach me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com or.. i'll be ||watching this board. ||Thanx... rj

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

As far as I know there's just hydrocarbons (no worse than lighting as many candles, better if a good burner) and metal particles, namely aluminum, iron and possibly bronze. Now what's so bad about that?

Tim

Tim Williams

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:06:16 -0500, "Tim Williams" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

and antifreeze and lead maybe and if from a diesel engine there will be soot in there that is known to be carcinogenic. etc

***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Reply to
Old Nick

I'm interested in your write up and pic's

Mike

Reply to
mike

Here are a few links to some pictures and a writeup on the water heat exchanger stove I built. Any questions, just ask.. be glad to help. RJ

rjd

Obviously you're joking Tim. As if no hydrocarbon causes cancer. Or that all hydrocarbons have the same toxicity. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Considering my experience as a fireman on a steam engine, adding water to the oil causes an extreme usage of the oil with a heavy black cloud of unburned carbon. The fire's temp is dropped a lot by the conversion of the water to steam with the concommitment of extenguishment of the fire which ends up with a lot of unburned components of the oil. On the good side, everything is so heavy that it doesn't go far but then you end up with a basic desert around the house which, here in Southern Calif., may be a benifit!

Bob May

BAN CANDLES!!! THEY HURT THE LITTLE ONES!!!!

Tim

Tim Williams

i now have all the poop for this project in one place with pictures and writeup.. you may want to visit

rj

Reply to
rjd