Cutting round bar

Hello all!

I've got a load of brass round bar that I need to cut up into short lengths. Can I achieve this with an angle grinder and suitable wheel attachment?

I don't know much about this, so any help would be appreciated :-)

Cheers

Reply to
Richard

"Richard"( clip) I've got a load of brass round bar that I need to cut up into short lengths.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ IMO, that's not one of the better choices. If you can justify buying a tool, I would go for a hand-held portable band saw. If you don't want to spend a couple hundred for a Milwaukee or Portaband, check Harbor Freight--they have a cheapo for about $60. I bought one just to have a spare, and it seems to work okay.

A bandsaw cuts brass really fast and clean. Abrasives generally don't work as well in soft metals like brass, but there may be someone who knows a composition that will do it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Bandsaw. Portaband, or a stationary one. Failing that I would clamp each piece down to a table and use a small handheld jigsaw.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

How big? How many? How long? A cut-off wheel would not be a good idea. How about a hack saw? Sawsall? Bandsaw? Jigsaw? Chainsaw?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A while back I needed to cut up some 1" brass pipe from a gas manifold in a location with no shop available. A DeWalt recrocating saw (Sawzall) made short work of the job.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Size of stock?

Length of cut pieces?

Accuracy and finish required?

How many?

Metal working equipment available?

Without information regarding these parameters, I would saw an axe might do the job.

mj

Reply to
michael

Cheers for the responses so far. The application requires lengths of 1/2" solid brass round bar, cut into 1/2" lengths. The result are small brass cylinders for use as milling media.

I might try a jigsaw with metal cutting blade.

Reply to
Richard

Buy a $500 Tornos screw machine, stick in a cut off tool, fill the bar feeder, set your length and go for lunch.

You dont even need to cut a cam.

I can probably find you one in your area, and cheaper.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
David Billington

Get a new 14tpi blade for the hacksaw :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand