Pryodex-based quickmatch?

So I bought some Pyrodex P the other day only to discover shortly thereafter that it isn't supposed to be that good for making quickmatch (according to PyroUniverse).

But since I already had it, I experimented a bit and it seems to me it works just fine. In fact, the 10" length I tested took off like a little rocket.

Formulation: Pyrodex P/dextrine solution on cotton string in 1/8" heatshrink.

Anyone else tried this? Seems a good alternative to BP-based quickmatch.

Reply to
bit eimer

Actually, I've never had a real problem using ANY smokeless powder in typical rocket applications (weakly constrained pyro devices, fusing, nitro-laquer, etc).

The rifle powders (IMR4198, say) left a lot of unburned residue in ejection charge tests, until I started igniting the "open" ends of the charge holders (paper and plastic straws/tubes) with ematches. Lighting them at the more securely sealed "bottoms" (where the light bulb was fixed) seemed to blow unburned propellant out ahead of the burning grains. IIRC, single base powders "seemed" to perform a little better, but that is a completely subjective observation and is probably related to powder grain geometry and the greater surface area of the single base powders I used.

I haven't thought about this for a long time. I might have to do some tests and see if anything quantitative shows up.

Reply to
Gary