public demo launches

just wanderin what have you done, what did you forget, what did you wish you did?

got the rockfest demo launch coming up, and want to make sure all my bases are covered

Reply to
tater schuld

Brought all the equipment, not forgetting fire extinguisher (cause we're flying at a Fire Co.). Remembering the battery. Flew 23 flights over 3 hours. Started with an Alpha III set, 1/26-2, then A8, B6, C6. Talked their ears off about what we were doing and why, like countdown, announcing flight and clear skies, prep, engine designations, RSO versus LCO, sign in sheets, etc.

Announced it early, but limited it to a demo. Only used engines and rockets I was certain of (for field size, no separations). Didn't splash it all over so public came (that's after it's approved). Flew helicopter, saucer, glider, 3FNC.

Wish the weather was better. Wish more Fire Co. people showed up (we got three). Wish I'd prepped more rockets much earlier, leaving more time to talk and still get in flights. Wish I had more support from local clubs (this is for a newly-forming club). I had two flyers from the local club, no officers, no other club members.

Tom Ha President Central Pennsylvania Rocketeers club/section-to-be NAR #76754 snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net

Reply to
Tom Ha

Good job Tom. I have done that hundreds of times and every time a hoot and helpful to some local club or school. You rule. Rinse and Repeat.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

repost from update to older thread

arrived at 5:00pm instead of early. just got the pads up when the Board of directors showed up on the field (5 minute setup time) only had two sucesseful launches in 30 minute period (was slow to prep, initator igniter wouldn't go) rocket flown. Fat Boy stock on a C6-5. Dueces Wild on two C6-5s. in a 160 acre section of a mile square field! many delays in launching. board not knowledgeable. fewer questions asked than expected. lots of uncomfortable pauses while waint for helpers to prep (not their fault, they wanted rockets to fly *right*) was told to pack up and meet them in office. felt like a positive attitude. was told......

YES YOU CAN FLY AT OUR FIELD

ok, still doing happy dance. can you blame me? two requirements.

1) make sure they are listed on section application as insured field, provide paperwork (no problem) 2) submit paperwork that eliminates them from liability (makes sense, but.....how?)

now to find some engines. and to determine their long/lat for waivers and notifications. oh requirement 3) you can't fly when we are having our "stuff going on" (they gotta make a living,no problem)

Reply to
tater schuld

Consider this simple fact. You are influencing more rocketeers singlehandedly than NAR and TRA combined do.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If you have no GPS there is a way to do it in backwards fashion on

........it does take time and trial and error but it can be done......they don't allow you to just plug in names, you have to plug in lat-long and figure where you are then continually tighten the map and numbers till you zoom in on it

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy